1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Happy.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mrro82, Sep 15, 2012.

1. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    I had my install today. Slimline dish with originally a TiVo DVR and a HD receiver. He arrived at 11:15. I had a 8-12 window. Came in. Introduced himself and we went right into dish placement. I already had an old Dish dish (lol) on the corner of the house. Since the DirecTV dish is oval and not circular, he needed to put the dish on the roof. No biggie. While he was working I noticed that the DVR he brought wasn't a TiVo. It is the DVR plus (HR24). Crap. I let him know that it isn't what we ordered. He starts making calls to find one. Meanwhile, I go online and re-read the features of it. We decided it was time for a change and told him not to worry about it. We'll keep the HR24.

After all was installed he fired it all up. What a difference from cable! DirecTV has got this stuff down pat compared to cable. Everything is tied in quite nicely together. Hard to believe I waited so long to switch.

Tim our installer was frickin' awesome. Easy to talk to and actually listened to me. Whenever Charter came here they all acted like they were king @#$% and couldn't care less what my input was. Not Tim. He walked me through the boxes and showed me the basic ins and outs. He did a good job outside with the wiring too. Not a sloppy rats nest like some of the installs I saw in the shame thread. Yikes! :eek2:

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Excellent.
    Welcome to DirecTV and to DBS forum.
    You will have some questions and the people on here can answer them for you.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    :welcome_s

As jimmie57 said, please ask if you have any questions.

Did you get whole home (MRV)? Something you probably didn't look at since you were looking at a Tivo, but you might want to consider that now since you have an HD DVR and an HD receiver.

4. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    Thanks for the welcomes!
    Yep. Got that now too since we didn't get a TiVo. Have yet to try it out. Speaking of TiVo, they tried hard as hell to keep me. I think the csr got mad. :lol:

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Give the system about 24 hours and it will show you some more things to like! VOD, channel/show suggestions and some very nice icons.

6. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    I was wondering how long it takes to catch up. Also, I tested the MRV and it works great. Pretty snappy too. I was kind of expecting some lag but there wasn't any. Makes me even more glad I didn't get the TiVo version. :)

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    wait until you use Pandora and YouTube right on your TV. Awesome!

8. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    Looking forward to it. This system is great. I love being able to watch recordings in my bedroom without needing a dvr in there.

9. yall2

yall2 Mentor

Dec 5, 2010
    It's nice to hear someone happy instead of whine whine :D I have had D* for many years and love it.

10. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    I know what you mean. Compared to what I'm coming from I have no cause to complain. I look forward to this for years to come.