1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Super Joey

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by NCwolfpack00, Jul 26, 2014.

1. NCwolfpack00

NCwolfpack00 New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    NC
    I currently have HD for life as well as the original hopper and 1 joey.
    Where can I buy a Super Joey ???
    Can I buy a super joey to replace the original joey?
    When I change to a super joey will I forfeit HD for life?
    Can i just simply unhook the joey and hook up the super joey in its place without professional installation??

What is the fastest and simplest thing to do??

2. Chris S@DISH

Chris S@DISH DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jul 3, 2014
    Colorado
    Hey there! You can send me a private message with your account number and 4 digit pin and we can review your options!

3. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Curious about this too. Currently paying $7 each for 2 Joeys, can I change one to Super Joey? Still $7/mo?
    Hate spend much more, $80/mo for Top 250 and $44 for equipment and taxes is a bit much already.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Super Joey is $10.00/mo. It adds two satellite tuners to the Hoppers 3 for a total of 5.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The cabling is different... Joeys connect to a different place on the node than do Hoppers and Super Joeys. Also, for people that use a tap to connect their Joey to a Hopper line, there could be need to run a new coax if RG6 isn't already in the wall to where the Super Joey is going to go.

Depending on your configuration, it could be a simple swap out and then move the connection at the node OR it could be more complicated.

6. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    what would most suggest...........a hopper & super joey or 2 hoppers to go with 2 wireless joeys?

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    2 H will better any other config regardless how many J you need

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I agree. The only advantage I can see to a Hopper + Super Joey scenario is that all your tuners are available to your Hopper, Super Joey, and other Joeys in the system.

The 2-Hopper setup doesn't let the Hoppers share each other's tuners... but you can see all the recordings from any Hopper or Joey... and you have 1 more SAT tuner and the possibility for a second OTA tuner as well.

9. Aug 3, 2014 #9 of 13
    bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    does anyone think that Dish will fully integrate the hopper tuners like the super joey? is this a matter of technology or something else?

10. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    No

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Scuttlebutt is that there is insufficient bandwidth on the MOCA to allow two Hoppers to fully communicate three tuners both ways (6 additional streams) as would be necessary.

12. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    Doesn't DirectTv do this? How do they do it?

13. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    While it's all moca, but it's not all the same moca since they may use different freq bandwidth amounts. Directv can handle more than six easily, I have no idea about dish myself.