1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Super Rugby FInal - Guide Error

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cmasia, Jul 30, 2014.

1. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    We've had another flawless season of Super Rugby coverage on Channel 490-1.

Until now!

The Super Rugby Final is schedule for Saturday, August 2, at 5:40 AM EDT.

Unfortunately, it's in the Guide for Friday, August 1, at 5:40 EDT.

I've called in 3 times already and you can probably guess the creative stories I've heard.

No one seems to know anything about this or who to contact to fix it.

I know Tribune furnishes Guide data to DIrecTV, but do they also furnish this information?

And how can I contact someone - anyone - at DirecTV who might be able to fix this before it's too late?

SatelliteRacer, can you help?

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I believe TMS serves up all the Guide info, and DIRECTV® puts it in their format. Sometimes these things get straightened out in the middle of the night, but.... Are you concerned about others missing it?

Flash: as of precisely 6:49:17 PM PDT on Wednesday, July 30, 2014, it says "Upcoming: Waratahs vs. Crusaders"... And everything else is TBA.... Including both times you mentioned or both 490 and 490-1....

To be continued.....

3. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Ah- Waratahs start at 2:40 a.m. PDT, Friday. Is that the match you're concerned about?

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Tribune doesn't handle the guide data for the Rugby channels, DirecTV does that on their own.

Unfortunately since DirecTV barely acknowledges that this exists or promotes it outside of a page on DirecTV.com, it will be hard to find a CSR who knows what it is.

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Good info- but how would one go about finding that out? And other channels they might handle?

6. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Yes, the match is the Final between the Waratahs and the Crusaders, Saturday night in Sydney.

That channel only has live rugby matches with TBA listed at all other times.

I guess if it's not fixed in the Guide, I'll manually record the channel.

It would be a shame to have seen the entire season, except for the Final.

7. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It's usually channels like the sports packages, RSN overflows and PPV. Check Tribune's data, if the channel doesn't exist in their data and instead something like INFOxxx or LOORxxx is shown in its place or the channel is there but the schedule is mostly filled with SIGN OFF instead of the actual programming, DirecTV is handling it on their own.

I've seen this happen before with the Rugby channels where they initially have the wrong date since the time difference makes it confusing, but it usually gets fixed. You might have better luck via e-mail since if the initial reply is wrong you can continue to follow up with them instead of starting over with a new CSR.

1 person likes this.
  8. Aug 1, 2014 #8 of 12
    cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    4 more calls today to D* on the subject.

4 more incredibly stupid answers.

Manually recording the channel at 05:40 EDT Saturday on the 1% chance the game shows up.

120 regular season games - Perfect.

4 playoff games - Perfect.

The Final - Who cares?

http://www.superxv.com/fixtures/

9. Aug 1, 2014 #9 of 12
    cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Well, someone got the message, as the match now appears correctly in the Guide for Saturday morning, 5:40 AM EDT.

And the game should be a cracker.

10. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Good to hear. When I get home I will check to see if the recording I set up a few days ago has moved into the right time and place.

11. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I have it set to record twice, once through normal recording which is scheduled to start at exactly kick off time.
    And another manually set to record 40 minutes before game time and tacking on 90 minutes on the back end.

If we're lucky DirecTV will show the pre-match show.

There are interesting overtime rules which could add as much an hour to the event.

1) Extra Time - If the scores are level at the conclusion of regulation time, the procedure will be:
    After a five minute rest period, the extra time is played in two 10 minute periods with a two minute halftime;

2 ) Sudden Death – if the match is still tied at the end of extra time, the procedure will be:
    An up to 10 minute sudden death period is played after another five minute rest period;
    The first team to score (by a penalty, drop-goal or try) will be the winner;

3 ) Kicking Competition – if the match is still tied at the end of sudden death, the Referee will conduct a place kicking competition to determine the winner of the match. Those rules can be found here, and they are more complicated than penalty kicks in football, er, soccer.

http://www.superxv.com/about/

The home Waratahs are only 1.5 point favorites, but I think the Crusaders will nick it.

12. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Just a followup- the recording I "set" via the Guide for this morning did not carry over to the correct time for tomorrow morning. Easy enough to remedy.