1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superbowl in HD

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Antknee, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antknee

Antknee Legend

Oct 13, 2005
    Will the Superbowl be shown on any HD channels besides ABC?

2. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Uhhh... No.

3. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    from todays uplink it looks interesting that maybe if you have sd abc distants you'll get abc hd distants to watch the superbowl. They uplink wabc at #240 and kabc on
    #250 both @ 110

4. Trav2003

Trav2003 Mentor

Jan 17, 2006
    Any chance they could provide that as a special to existing HD subscribers that have a local ABC in SD?

5. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    No. Your local ABC affiliate choose to prevent you from getting distants and also chooses to not broadcast in HD, despite being given millions of dollars worth of bandwidth in which to do so.

The is nothing "they" (the DBS companies) can do about either decision.

Call your local ABC affiliate daily and ask them why they do this.

6. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    what if you are a current HD customer AND you also currently qualify to receive the ABC distant? I am thinking it will still be 'no' as I was under the impression that the new HD affiliates would be in MPEG4.

7. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    That is the big question

8. J.J.

J.J. New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    That really sucks too...

I live in Pittsburgh, and the OtA for ABC really stinks around here.

I was excited because I thought the Super Bowl was on Fox, and I had already started planning my Super Bowl party.

I get the local Fox HD at 94% signal strength. Other than ESPN HD, it is the best picture for HD in my opinion.

On another side note, when the Steelers played the Eagles on the first Monday Night pre-season game, ESPN HD carried the game also.

I am wondering if that may happen for the Super Bowl. Maybe they will and just do it, not advertise it!!!!

JJ in Pittsburgh.......

9. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    What about if your local ABC is O&O? Will they then allow you to see the Superbowl HD feed?

10. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    yes, those are exactly the cities who will be getting it

11. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Yes, the Superbowl HD feed is only available to those in markets with an abc owned and operated stations. Only about ten exist.

12. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    I think it is still unknown if those with waivers might be eligible as well. Unless someone has seen something that I haven't.

13. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    they wont.

14. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I forget sometimes that my ABC station is O&O... but I get my local ABC station in HD for free OTA anyway, so it never comes up. I might check out the feed for comparison purposes though.

15. Trav2003

Trav2003 Mentor

Jan 17, 2006
    Well its official then - I will not be getting the superbowl in HD.

This pisses me off.

I'm too far away to get OTA, I can't get ABC distants because StL is apparently an Affiliate market, and its not one of the 10 markets geting the special in HD.

That really sucks.

16. FarNorth

FarNorth Godfather

Nov 27, 2003
    Yes, it does. I would be tempted to believe Dish when they say it was the network's decision but, oddly enough, they did the very same thing 18 months ago with NBC and the Olympics. Isn't it odd that both networks came to the same conclusion when dealing with Dish but a completely different conclusion when dealing with Direct?

17. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    So since I get Chicago locals and have the current HD Pak, I'll get the Super Bowl on ch. 250 without having a new MPEG4 receiver? If that's correct, thank you DISH. A sensible way to handle the problem of rolling out the MPEG4 upgrade too late for most people to get the equipment by Super Bowl Sunday.

18. Merovingian

Merovingian Cool Member

Jan 19, 2006
    Damn I'm not in one of the 10 city's lol

Ahh well...

Now I'm going to have to mess with my OTA antenna for a few hours before I find the right spot..

I get all of my other locals but for some reason ABC is just a pain to receive...

Especially since I moved my TV to the other side of the room (my antenna doesn't reach the ABC spot on the floor lol)

I was hoping I didn't have to do that....:rolleyes:

19. sbuko

sbuko Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    I would be very interested in the comparison. I get all of the Atlanta HD locals OTA will great reception. PQ is great. I am wondering how the OTA PQ will compare to the Atlanta HD locals via Dish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.