1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SuperDish 121 Projected 4th quarter plans.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by NicholsonSatellite, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NicholsonSatellite

NicholsonSatellite Cool Member

Jan 14, 2004
    As mush as I've disliked this dish I bow to the engineers if they follow through with the projected plans for the 4th quarter this year.

Ultimate plan :

Current Dish 121 Offers

Standard TV
    HDTV
    Locals via 121 bird

4th Quarter Plan

LNB Head Upgrade Plus Transmit Head
    Offering upto 3 mbs download Internet/1 mbs upload
    Land Base Telephone Service Coop SBC
    WiFi

According to the tech i spoke with they have a working model in the shop and are trying to get all the bugs out .

Do I say more install headaches, yes I do :uglyhamme

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    When did they put HD on 121???

3. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    they didn't..
    and i don't think they will...

However - LOL - according to the poster this is "projected for the 4th Quarter" ...
    So who knows... :D

4. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    SuperDish 121 does indeed offer HDTV. It does it right now, the LNB that points to 110 on the SuperDish 121 provides all the HDTV but CBS.

The internet service is interesting, are they going to be using the Ka part of 121 to do that?

5. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Huh?
    That's 105 i believe, and not 121 (talking about HDTV)

Someone else confirm it? ;)

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I think what he was saying was that the 121 version of SuperDish's 110 LNB gets the HD channels on the 110 slot, not that there's HD on 121. Maybe that's what the original poster meant, not that 121 slot has HD on it now. Anyway, this is way too confusing, HD on 61.5 and 148, nope we'll put it all on 105, no wait, let's put in on 110. Everyone all set, good, let's now move it to 121. E* ought to come out with a motorized mount for the dish and then we can just sit on the couch and point the bloody thing to where ever Charlie wants to broadcast from for that day :D

7. bcadotte1

bcadotte1 Cool Member

Feb 16, 2004
    "E* ought to come out with a motorized mount for the dish and then we can just sit on the couch and point the bloody thing to where ever Charlie wants to broadcast from for that day"

Just like the old C-Band days.

8. rodb

rodb AllStar

Dec 5, 2003
    Three channels on 105 have HD, none on 121.

9. Neutron

Neutron Banned User

Oct 2, 2003
    Personally who would want Satellite internet with the lag issues?

10. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    Those of us who can only get Dial-Up internet, because we can't get DSL, or Cable out here in the rural areas.

11. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    3MB down and 1MB up sounds pretty dang good, actually better than what cable internet has available around here, except the lag time. That will probably be for business though and not the average home user.

I thought that the internet was going to be on 105? What about those that are on the other slot (121)? Do those subscribers have to put up another SuperDish? Perhaps we now know why they are making a dish that will be pointing at just one FSS slot itself, perhaps it would be for those only wanting internet service.

12. gpflepsen

gpflepsen Guest

Please quantify this lag issue. Thanks.

13. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Dish has a Ku/ka license at 121 and is leasing a Ku/ka license at 105, so in theory they could have internet at both location. Since I have not seen any specs on it, it is not clear if it would be Ka or Ku at 121. 105 satellite has a plan for Ka with spot beams.

The lag issue is that it takes time for data to go up to the satellite and back down. If you send a request up it has to travel to the satellite, get bounce back to earth, then the reply has to be sent back up the satellite and back down to you. It can take over half a second traveling. Not bad when doing web pages, but when playing interactive games it makes it hard.

14. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    It's Deja Vu all over again. :D

15. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    By the way, I am posting this and have used Starband (over satellite) for several years now. I have also installed several systems for customers who had no other access to high speed. Generally, as soon as high speed is available, the customers will switch over to it. I just collected a Starband system from a customer yesterday who switched to a newly available wireless highspeed system here in Vero Beach. Cost wise, the two services are comperable, but this fellow was doing the ultimate interactive game, day trading. He takes place in conference calls on a regular basis which were impossible on Starband because of the lag. For general web brousing Starband is fine, for interactivites, it simply isn't. It doesn't work.

16. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Typical lag is 1-2 seconds to get a connection started up and running. Lag with dialup was due to slower connect speeds. Lag with satellite internet is due to distance to bounce the signal off a satellite. Properly configured, you really don't notice as compaired to dialup since dialup also took a bit to establish the connection. Once the connection is established, the data keeps coming in a stream so you don't notice the delay. This however only applies when you are doing something non-interactive, such as loading a large web page, streaming audio or video, etc. If you start doing something interactive or when many small packets get sent and something happens based off of those packets, then you really start feeling the effect. Examples would be online gaming and telnet/ssh connections.

My work uses satellite for communications for our memebers (customers). It's great for sending out files as there are no long distant costs and you can just queue things up to be sent, but interactively calling into their systems vaires from ok to downright crappy.

The other thing with satellite connections is that they are not reall consistant. You might get a burst of 3 mbits...but then nothing for a second or two...then 1mbit for a while..then back to 2mbits etc. Bandwidth is also limited across the entire satellite.

Don't forget that everything that everyone downloads goes across the same connection unlike how if you download something with your DSL, your signal never makes an impact on my signal since I'm in a different area. It's like a cable modem where everyone in the coutry is in your neighborhood.

17. chelsea

chelsea Legend

May 1, 2003
    Echostar &/or VisionStar, a company controlled by C*, holds Ka licenses at
    121* & 113*

Directv is launching their first Ka HD spotbeam sat this year, with 2 more
    coming. The first two positions will be 99* & 103*.

18. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If the price is right I would consider satellite internet at those speeds, since neither me or anyone in my family play games or trade stock over the internet, all we would do is load websites, files, streaming video and audio, lag time would not effect us much. Comcast and CenturyTell DSL however are available to me. To make satellite internet viable for me E* would have to have a deal at least comparable to the bundling deal of $42.95 /mo that Comcast has for their cable tv customers, the current $60/mo for Direct Way is way too much money unless it is your only option. CenturyTell DSL is the cheapest at $34.99/mo for Fast, or $44.99/mo for Faster or $54.99 for Fastest, however at least their Fast rate is slower then Cable and Satellite but no lag, however I only know of 1 person on these forums who has experience with CentryTel DSL and it was negative.

19. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Interesting how DirecTv was able to get two Ka slots so close to each other, only 2 degrees on each side of 101. Wouldn't this help achieve 2 Ka slots along with 101 on the same dish or at least allow a smaller dish seeing how 101 is closer to 99/103 and that they may not need 110/119 to be on the same dish? I wonder if they would make a dish that would have 99/103, 101, 110, 119 slots on it.

Dish Network is coming out with internet service next year for under $40 with free hardware.

20. chelsea

chelsea Legend

May 1, 2003
    I've read the Ka dish is 24* and Ka was intended originally for internet,
    now those plans have been shelved for HD locals, as the spotbeams were
    already designed for internet. Yes it helps having Hughes & PanAmSat as
    the same company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.