1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superdish Installation -give back old dishes?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Raykha, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 9, 2004 #1 of 30
    Raykha

Raykha Cool Member

May 25, 2004
    I finally got a line of sight on the ground for the Superdish. After 3rd attempt at making appointments through Dish, the installer went back saying we need a pole and has rescheduled installation next week. However, I want the Superdish to only point at 121 and as suggested by other forum members, I would like to connect the 4 satellites through 2 SW 21s. The installer is refusing to point to only 121. He says, he is required to pulldown the existing 301 and 500 dishes and take them back. These 2 dishes are just working fine. My only concern is, as there are more leaves in the way of Superdish, chances of losing signals will increase. Does anyone know if we can keep the 301 and 500?

2. Jun 9, 2004 #2 of 30
    Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    It depends on the terms of your existing contract and Superdish offer. If you are currently leasing the dishes, or if part of the "upgrade to Superdish" offer you are taking advantage of requires that you return them, then yes, you will have to give them back. If you own them, and you are getting the Superdish without using a method which requires that you return your old equipment, then no, the dishes are yours to keep.

3. Jun 9, 2004 #3 of 30
    Raykha

Raykha Cool Member

May 25, 2004
    The condition for free Superdish and installation was only that I have auto pay for top 60 and higher programming offers, which i do. DISH did not mention the return..

4. Jun 9, 2004 #4 of 30
    TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    If you purchased your equipment originally or are out of your 1 year commit, the equipment is yours to keep.

If you're on DHA or DHP (the lease plans), then they take the Dish.

5. Jun 9, 2004 #5 of 30
    Raykha

Raykha Cool Member

May 25, 2004
    I checked with DishNetwork - They say I can keep the DISH 301 pointed to 61.5 but I have to return the 500 as they are replacing it with the Superdish. Can someone please give me a diagram of how to connect the 61.5 with Superdish's 3 satellites through 2 SW 21s? Can these SW21s be near the 2 receivers?

6. Jun 9, 2004 #6 of 30
    Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    As far as I know, legacy switches and LNBs are not compatible with the Superdish. Hence, trying to mix in legacy switches or legacy LNBs from other dishes is going to be problematic.

I don't believe you can do the 4 satellite legacy solution without a "poor man's Superdish". Again, based on my understanding of this, a real SuperDish would be used with a DP-34, and hence wouldn't allow a fourth satellite until the DPP-44 is available.

7. Jun 9, 2004 #7 of 30
    homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    I was 2 months into Digital Home Advantage when I got my SuperDISH, and they just left my Dish500 on the roof and went home.

8. Jun 9, 2004 #8 of 30
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Dish Network told the retailers that the Dish 300/500 pointed at 119/110 was part of their payment for doing the SuperDish upgrade and to take the dish when performing the upgrade.

9. pangderx

pangderx AllStar

Jan 8, 2004
    When the installers came to my house, they basically said they wouldn't even take the superdish ou tof the truck until they took down the old dish. They said that because it was part of the free superdish upgrade, they had to take the old dish with them.

Then they saw my roof and said they weren't going up there! :lol: :lol: Wimps! So then they said they wouldn't puty the superdish up and they were leaving. Then they said it couldn't be mounted ANYWHERE because there were trees and the dish would NEVER get a signal at 121. :grin: :grin:

I finally told them they were afraid to go on my roof and leave the dish and go. They wouldn't. I called Dish and they told the guys to leaver the dish. The guy said to the CSR "Ok, he ain't ever gonna get no signal." (His EXACT words!) :uglyhamme

So after they left the dish...with NO instructions...I went up on the roof, took down the dish put up the superdish with no problems. I had a few problems getting signal, but that was because I had no instructions and wasn't doing it right. When I found some instructions on the web, I had signal in a few minutes.

Oh yeah, and as far as "I ain't never gonna get no signal"....I peak at 85 on 121. Nice going Dish Installers!! :bang

Sorry about my rant...these installers crack me up though! :rant:

10. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    That's pathetic. Dish should be fining the installers and paying you for the installation. I mean, you're the one who did it after all, even though they were supposedly the individuals designated to do so.

11. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I was able to keep my 500. I upgraded to Superdish free with a 1 year contract as my locals were finally made available. He stated that he was supposed to take it but I threw a fit. I told him that I paid for the 500 in full and that the Superdish would be paid for in time since I had to resign a contract.

Jason

12. 231212

231212 Guest

I'm getting a superdish in 2 weeks for a channel on 121 - should I try to still use my 61.5 signal like raykah is trying?

Sounds like ppl feel signal quality may be a problem with the superdish?

13. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    People on DHA, check your agreements. You DO NOT return the "dish" itself, only the LNBs, multiswitches, and receivers.

14. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    In order to keep the 61.5, you need to know if it is a DP or legacy LNB. DP's will have DP written on the outside of it. If you have a DP you can use DP21 switches to connect the 61.5 into the line running to the receiver. I have never done this, so I'm not sure if it will work properly because Dish say that you need power insertion for 4 locations with DP. Only other way to do it would be to run a line and either change the wire or use an A/B switch and run check switch everytime you change. As for collecting the dish, most installers probably will collect a 500 for reuse if it is easy to get at. If I have a cust who wanted to keep it, I would leave it. Dish tells you to leave it when you move, so...............

As for the DHA termination, they don't ask for DP twins, DP single/duals, etc. Usually, they only want DP34s, Quads and stuff to go to 4 receivers with.

15. Raykha

Raykha Cool Member

May 25, 2004
    Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am glad to see that it worked out for you. This is what happened to me.
    1. My first appointment with the Dish installer - he took one look from the ground, without even going up the roof - and said he had bad news for me. He wrote " No line of sight " on the order form and left
    2. After doing independent checks with installers, one was willing to come and do a site survey for $99. When I mentioned this to DISH and my intentions of getting this done, they offered to do it for me for $49 through their installer
    3. The survey guy came, went up the roof, looked at signal strength from 110/118, and concluded, signal was there as 121 was very close to 110,119.
    4. So I called DISH and made another appointment. The installers came, took a look from the ground, and said "NO" , not on the roof, unless we plant it here on the ground, but we need a pole and permission. AND WE WILL TAKE THOSE DISHES BACK....
    5. So now I have another appointment in a week, - they will come with a pole .....
    I do want to keep my 500 and 301 for back up should 121 signal fail. After all I get all my channels quite fine with these 2 dishes, except for one new channel on 121 that I so desperately want..

16. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I wonder why they want the old equipment. When I had my recent 721 installation, they upgraded me to DP. As a result they took down my old legacy LNBF's and SW21 switches. I asked for the LNBF's back and they said ok and that they would have just thrown them away anyway. This was a E* installer, not a contractor.

17. geneb11

geneb11 Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    My Mother had sceduled dish to install a Superdish last thursday. The guy walked around the yard and told her "I can't beleive they sent me down here for this" there was too many tree's and she wouldn't get any signal.She asked him to leave the dish and he said no and left. She has a Dish500 which I installed myself on the roof and receives 110 and 119 just fine.She called Dish and they told her that they don't mount these on roofs and that she needed a pole mount on the ground. Now coming home today I see my neighbors have a superdish MOUNTED ON THEIR ROOF. What's the deal here? It's not much bigger that the 20" dish she has now. Why won't they mount it on the roof? All they have to do is remove the old mast and install the new one and the 2 support rods. I could do this myself,but why should I when installation in included?

18. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Gene: You're absolutely right. However, trying to find an installer that actually gives a damn about anything is near impossible. there's some on this forum - maybe one serves your area. I'd do it, but I'm 1800 miles away. :)

19. geneb11

geneb11 Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    The guy was from Boston(About an hour away) and it was late in the day. I would be willing to bet that he wanted to get home. They did offer to send someone else,but they told her it was going to co$t them more to send someone else. So did this guy get payed just to go to her house and say no? The guy didn't even go up on the roof where the dish is. As I search the forums I see alot more of this.I'll try calling them this week myself and see what they say.

20. geneb11

geneb11 Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    Here's the agreement. It does not say give back the old dish. If you own the dish. It is your's to keep.

SuperDISH is a next generation antenna designed to enable customers to receive a signal from 3 orbital locations. The third orbital location allows DISH Network customers to receive qualified local or International programming.

Agree to a minimum programming purchase agreement to either America's Top 60 or DISH Latino programming package and qualified locals or International programming for 12 consecutive months (Programming Purchase Agreement offers a discount value of $175!)
    Enroll in Credit Card Autopay (CCA) if not already enrolled (Enrollment offers a discount value of $24.95!)

Customers will receive a FREE SuperDISH Upgrade and FREE Standard
    Professional Installation of up to 2 existing receivers. (A savings of $199.95!)

*An additional $50 fee may apply for customers with 3 or more receivers.
    Limited-time offer for current customers only. Customer must be eligible for local or International programming qualified to require a SuperDISH to be eligible for this offer. Certain restrictions apply. Standard Professional Installation only. Prices are subject to change without notice. Customer must reside within the continental United States to participate. SuperDISH is not available through DISH Network in Pacific Northwest, Hawaii and Alaska.

Standard Professional Installation includes the installation of previously installed receivers. If customer has a receiver that has not been previously installed, additional work starts at $59.00 and will be paid to the installer at the time of activation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.