1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SuperDish Installation

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by briana, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 8, 2005 #1 of 13
    briana

briana Cool Member

Aug 8, 2005
    I have always purchased my own equipment. I paid full retail when I upgraded to Dish 500 by buying it directly from my local Dish supplier. I originally started out with a 4000 receiver and a now-termed "Dish 300" antenna. I do this partially because I want to OWN the equipment, and partially because I do not want to sign up with any new contracts or agreements to remain a subscriber - I also do not like auto-pay.

I have always done my own installations. This way I can be sure that everything is hooked up right, PLUS I know the quality of the cables used and can ensure proper lightning protection. I will continue to do my own installations as long as I can.

My current setup is two Dish 501 receivers, each connected to a SW-21 switch, and one set of cables connected to a Dish 500 Twin LNB at 110 and 119. The other set of cables goes to a dual LNB on a Dish 300 at 61.5 (I'm a SkyAngel subscriber as well.)

I have now found out that I have local channels available at the 121 location.

I understand that I will have to upgrade to a DishPro 121 dish in order to get the locals. I also understand that I will need a DP-44 Switch in order to do this.

I have become confused about a "converter" needed for the 121 LNB to get it to work with the rest of my system, etc.

Can someone explain exactly what all I will need equipment-wise to configure and setup my system so that I can have 61.5, 110, 119, and 121 all recognized by my current two 501's - keeping in mind the equipment I already have - so that I don't have to purchase ALL new stuff?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Aug 9, 2005 #2 of 13
    larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Replace the 500Twin with 2 legacy duals, get an SW64 to connect the 110/119/121 and then use your 2 SW21s to connect the 61.1. Use an old Primestar dish for the 121. Make sure you get a dual LNB. Otherwise, you will need to get an actual SD121 and a DP+44 and a DP Dual for the 61.5.

3. Aug 9, 2005 #3 of 13
    Dish Dude

Dish Dude AllStar

Mar 13, 2005
    sign up for an upgrade and have it done by a contractor or dish, it will cost you less money that way

4. Aug 9, 2005 #4 of 13
    briana

briana Cool Member

Aug 8, 2005
    I prefer not to do this - I do not want a contract or auto-pay required.

5. Aug 9, 2005 #5 of 13
    briana

briana Cool Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Actually I am planning on purchasing a SD121 and DP-44 with power inserter. I guess my main question is whether or not I need some sort of converter for the 121 LNB to work with the 501's?

6. Aug 9, 2005 #6 of 13
    fhorn

fhorn New Member

May 20, 2005
    Go to Ebay, you can get a superdish pretty cheap. I just bought 4 for under $200 with the multi switch.

7. Aug 9, 2005 #7 of 13
    bigrick

bigrick Registered User

Oct 21, 2003
  8. Dish Dude

Dish Dude AllStar

Mar 13, 2005
    so you will pay anywhere from 125-200 for the super dish by itself, 75-150 for the DPP 44 switch instead of $50 for an upgrade with a 1 year committment? So let's take the low end here, you pay $200 for equipment, align it yourself( not the easiest thing for a non installer or one without exp. in SD to do) or pay $50 for an experienced person to do it?

9. JPointerWI

JPointerWI AllStar

Jul 28, 2005
    If you really insist on doing it yourself, you will want to get a satellite meter. An analog one will work (not very well, but it will work), connect it to the 110 LNB and aim for the highest signal you can get. If you have the skew and elevation set correctly, once the 110 sat is aligned the others should work. It is absolutely critical that the mast is perfectly plumb in both directions. If you can get all that to work, you should be able to get a pretty good alignment.

Having said all that, you can call a local dealer that has experience to have them install it with no commitment, or contracts, or auto-pay to worry about.

10. briana

briana Cool Member

Aug 8, 2005

Thanks for all the help. I regularly install land-mobile radio antenna and cctv (full-time job), so making sure everything is plumb (and anchored into beams) is no problem. As far as alignment, I don't have a satellite-specific meter for checking digital or analog, but what I have always done is take a receiver on the roof with me, along with a LCD (battery operated) display hooked up to it, so that I can verify signal reception on all birds and make any changes necessary while doing so.

11. Rop

Rop Cool Member

May 29, 2005
    Briana, to encourage you a bit: With no prior satellite experience I've set up two Superdish-121's and two regular 61.5 dishes in the past 3 months. All four are working fine, setup took a couple of hours the first time, mostly because I went through the instructions painstakingly and slowly. It ain't all that hard.

I found the little analog satellite signal strength meter I purchased invaluable (was around $20 I believe). Other than that, as mentioned before, making sure the mouting pole is is plumb is crucial for a Superdish. With that, the rest falls in place pretty much by itself.

I purchased the dishes, DPP44 switch, and satellite strength meter all on EBay. Like you I didn't want the commitment, and liked the challenge of doing it myself.

Good luck!

-Rob-

12. Dish Dude

Dish Dude AllStar

Mar 13, 2005
    definitely get yourself a good meter than, it will save the time of hauling up a receiver to your dish location, also it is much easier to align by the sound, I use a channel master and an eagle than it is to look at a screen

13. Corwynder

Corwynder Mentor

Feb 6, 2005
    Call me crazy I guess. I lined up a superdish by sound alone. Took two phones off the hook and left one at the entertainment center and the other went outside with me. Just listening to the tones seemed to work. I now have both 119 and 110 averaging between 105 and 115 and I have the 105 bird peaked at 68. I don't dare touch it again. The wife hates listening to the tones. Handheld signal meter? Well if I ever decided to aim more then 1 superdish in a year the maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.