1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

superdish pole

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mustang, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 2, 2005 #1 of 25
    mustang

mustang AllStar

Mar 30, 2005
    Anyone ever heard of using a pole that used to be used for primestar? Don't really know what size they are, 2 3/8 OD i think.

2. Jun 2, 2005 #2 of 25
    larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Type I SD uses a 2" pole. Type 2, or composite, use tghe 2 3/8". Type I is the most common. I use heavy duty galvanize exhaust pipe for type I pole installs.

3. Jun 2, 2005 #3 of 25
    Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Perfect 10 makes a 2" pole adapter for the 2-3/8" pole.

4. Jun 2, 2005 #4 of 25
    subfish

subfish Cool Member

Mar 22, 2005
    They installed my sd 121 w/ a primestar pole

5. Jun 2, 2005 #5 of 25
    ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    Dish retailer installed my folks Superdish on an existing BUD pole.

6. Jun 2, 2005 #6 of 25
    bigrick

bigrick Registered User

Oct 21, 2003
    Those primestar work great! The 2" just slides right inside, then with a few self tapping screws your done. If it's a little loose, just put a few wraps of electrical tape on first, then slide it down in. Just don't use the old cable.

7. Jun 3, 2005 #7 of 25
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    How much are those adaptors? Probably as much as the 2" pole.

8. Jun 3, 2005 #8 of 25
    larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Yeah, but a lot easier and faster.

9. Jun 3, 2005 #9 of 25
    Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002

They are about $10 each from Perfect 10.

10. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I called the local muffler shop and they said that they have 2" diameter poles that are 7 1/2 foot long for $20 out the door. He also said that it was 14 guage. Is that good enough pole thickness to use for the metal Type 1 SuperDish? Would a pole driver cause the pole to warp out on the top as a result of driving the pole in the ground? I am having a hard time finding a supplier for them and my distributor does not carry any adaptors or poles. It seems like I cannot get everything I need from my distributor and I am going to have to find someone to supply these things at a reasonable cost. I imagine that having any poles shippped to me would increase the price for the shipping costs. Everyone is saying how expensive they are.

11. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    You can buy 8' pole of various diameters at Home Depot. The ones I've bought run like like $9 or so.

12. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    14 guage is fine. Have used it many times. However, I would dig the hole with post hole diggers. A pole driver would probably screw up the pole. 60 lbs of crete is plenty.

KingLoop - Hoime Depot doesn't sell that size. I checked everywhere in my area, and exhaust pipe was the only thing that would work.

13. Shellback X 23

Shellback X 23 Legend

Sep 18, 2004
    I use 2" galvanized water pipe. Got it at Lowes but don't remember the price. Mine is threaded at each end and if you want to drive it into the ground buy a cap and pound on that. If you want it really stiff fill it with "Quikreat" and pour a cup of water in the top (after you remove the cap). An 80 lb. bag of quickrete around the base does a good job of holding the pole in place. :)

14. rurso

rurso Mentor

Dec 9, 2004
    Go to Home Depot and buy either 2" galv plumbing or electrical pipe,the od is 23/8"Looking aroung 10ft of 2" is around $35,the coupling is $4 and the sacrete is around $5. You can dig a hole for the pipe,try to get down about 1 foot or more. If you pound it in use a cap or coupling and pound on that. The digging the hole is better then get some sacrete or concrete mix and put it in the fole. Make sure it is plum when you set it.

15. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Uh, frost line in my area is 30-36", and if your crete isn't that deep, you are wasting your time.

16. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Frost line has to be taken into consideration in most of the country (well, maybe not here). If it is not the pole will shift or be pushed right out of the ground with the freeze/thaw cycles. I have seen dishes in Minnesota that were not cemented deep enough where the poles were pushed several inches out of the ground after just one winter. So long as the pole is pushed STRAIGHT up, no problem, but eventually it will start to lean and the satellite will be lost.

17. rurso

rurso Mentor

Dec 9, 2004
    I know my frost line is about the same but I have buried them 1ft to 2ft with no problems. But you are correct the ideal dept is below the frost line in your area. Also to go farther the diameter will effect heaving. The narrower the hole less heaving,the wider diameter is more area for the frost to heave it. Just drive say a 2" pipe in the groung and you will get no heaving at all. I put up a new fence probly 10-15yrs ago down maybe 1ft with the x brackets and after 10yrs has heaved very little.

18. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    And when dealing with a fence, that is not an issue. But when dealing with a satellite dish, any change in the vertical status of the pole can become a signal problem. I've gone behind way too many installs where the pole was only 12 inches down, or they didn't use any crete, etc. P* installs were mostly doen properly. And, when doing P* installs, you were supposed to fill the pole with crete to give it more stregnth. When you are dealing with tha much more wind load than the D500, a properly installed pole is a neccessity.

19. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Agreed!

A satellite pole is not a fence pole. I cannot emphasize more, but fulfillment installers just take the money and run with it. They don't care as long as the install gets a signal during the short warranty period.

If the Primestar is schedule 40, its inner diameter is 2.067. A 2" actual diameter carexhause pipe would fit in perfectly. Just get an 18" or so length of exhaust pipe. drill a couple of 1/4" holes on one side and drive in about three #14 self drilling sheet metal screws. These are the ones with the drill bit wing tips.

You can do the same with the later thinner Primestar pipe, but you have to be careful with getting the holes lined up perfectly with the axis of the pipe. Just get a length of metal angle and lay the open end on the pipe and draw a line down one side. This line will be parallel to the pipe's center axis.

20. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I tried putting an actual 2" diameter pipe (even from the mount) and put it on the inside of the PrimeStar pole and it was too loose. The guage of the pipe would have to be thicker than what the PrimeStar pole is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.