1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superdish Signal loss! Help me if you can!

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by gfidaho, Jun 8, 2004.

1. gfidaho

gfidaho New Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I live in southern Idaho and have recently upgraded to a SuperDish with two 301 receivers. I have had Dish Network technicians out here 3 times in the last four weeks because my upstairs television keeps loosing the signal for channels on satellite 119 and ALL transponders below 8.

The technicians have moved the dish to the very top of my two-story house and it has a clear line of sight with absolutely no obstructions from trees or buildings. The highest signal tone I ever get on any channels are in the low 80’s. The stations mentioned above are usually in the 60’s, but will then go to a complete 0 (zero).

It seems as if things work fine for a day or two after the technician leaves, then it starts acting up again. I have swapped the two receivers but the problem remains in the upstairs location. It seems to work fine in the morning but gets continually worse as the day progresses.

Could this be a problem with poor connections or faulty equipment? I haven’t had a problem like this during my six years of satellite programming, except when I needed to have the cable upgraded to RG-6.

Why don’t I lose the signal in the downstairs set? Is it because of a shorter dish to receiver cable run? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is extremely frustrating. :confused:

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    GF from your post you have swapped the receivers so they are not the problem. That leaves the cables and the DP-34 switch. Try running a new cable from the dish in through a window if signal strength/problem continue the cable is not the problem. Lastly replace the DP-34 switch. Seeing it affects only the 119 the last possibility is the 119LNBF.

3. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    It is momre than likely the cable but could be an output on the DP-34 switch. If replacing the cable does not work try putting it into another output of the switch until you get a replacement DP-34 switch which should be covered under warranty.

4. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    DishPro has more problems with coax because of the stacked signal, most likely there is a defect in your RG6 or it's connections which is causing the problem, have them replace the complete RG6 run to upstairs reciever.

5. gfidaho

gfidaho New Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Thank’s for your help! I called Dish Network and they will send a tech out next Monday (again). Interestingly, the customer service rep. at Dish Network, said that it could not be due a cable issue!

She said it was probably a bad or incorrectly installed lnb. She was just shy of being very rude. She made such statements as: “Sir, if you are getting a message on your screen, it cannot be a cable issue. If it was a cable issue you wouldn’t see anything at all.” :nono2:

At that point, I realized that it was futile to pursue this conversation any further, and asked if she would arrange for repairs to be made.

She said that she found it unbelievable that the installers/techs would not thoroughly test all the equipment prior to their departure, and that Dish Network would keep sending them back until the installation is successfully complete.

I told her that since this was the third attempt, if I called Dish Network again, it would be for them to come and pickup their equipment!
    :mad:

6. gfidaho

gfidaho New Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I wanted to post a followup to let you know that it was indeed the DP-34 switch. The Dish Network tech replaced it and everything appears to be working great! Thanks again for your help!

7. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    When CSR's start acting like that I hang up on them because by the time you try to explain to them how they are wrong or argue with them, it would be quicker to hang up and find another CSR to talk to. It just makes things a bit easier. I have has some nicer CSR's on the phone lately than what I used to have.

8. inidaho

inidaho New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    I'm curious...it sounds like you may have had the same installer I had here in Boise. We've had three techs out since the install. What we find is that the signal on the local channels fluctuates radically and we are constantly having dropouts of the signal. Last fix was to connect the ground wire that the original installer as well as two others missed and then we RMA'd our receiver which was a mistake since the new receiver has a slower processor (noticible delays on the program guide).

We thought we had the dropout problem fixed with the new receiver as we didn't see problems for several days, but it's back again...had 8 drops of signal within 15 minutes tonigh. I'd be interested to know if you've had any more problems since this originally occurred.

--Randy