1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Superstation Package

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by levibluewa, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    Seems to me that one thing Charlie could do is to offer this package in HD (WPIX11, KTLA5, WWOR9). It would be a selling point since it is NOT available on Directv. It's about the only thing I can see that is working in his favor. Otherwise Directv is stomping on him.

2. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    E* is now offering the Lin owned local stations in HD, this is something that D* does not have.

3. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    LIN?

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    http://www.lintv.com/about/television.html

A group of TV stations covering 9% of US TV households.

AUSTIN, TEXAS
    KXAN-TV NBC
    KNVA-TV CW
    KBVO-CA TELE

ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO
    KRQE-TV CBS
    KASA-TV FOX

MOBILE, ALABAMA/PENSACOLA, FLORIDA
    WALA-TV FOX
    WBPG-TV CW

GREEN BAY, WISCONSIN
    WLUK-TV FOX

GRAND RAPIDS-BATTLE CREEK, MICHIGAN
    WOOD-TV NBC
    WOTV-TV ABC
    WXSP-TV MNT

BUFFALO, NEW YORK
    WIVB-TV CBS
    WNLO-TV CW

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA
    WISH-TV CBS
    WNDY-TV MNT
    WIIH-CA UNI

FT. WAYNE, INDIANA
    WANE-TV CBS

LAFAYETTE, INDIANA
    WLFI-TV CBS

TERRE HAUTE, INDIANA
    WTHI-TV CBS

DAYTON, OHIO
    WDTN-TV NBC

TOLEDO, OHIO
    WUPW-TV FOX

COLUMBUS, OHIO
    WWHO-TV CW

PORTSMOUTH-NORFOLK, VIRGINIA
    WAVY-TV NBC
    WVBT-TV FOX

SPRINGFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS
    WWLP-TV NBC

NEW HAVEN-HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT
    WTNH-TV ABC
    WCTX-TV MNT

PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND
    WPRI-TV CBS
    WNAC-TV FOX

5. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I do not think that the Superstations will be available nationally after the Analog switch. The law that ALLOWS Dish to sell the superstations specifically lists the superstations with the call letters followed by "-TV". The HD channels are "-DT" stations, not TV stasions. Now Congress could change that, but a strict reading of the law would imply that Superstations (which are themselves a vestage of the "old days" when cable and satellite companies plucked stations off the airlike ripe apples and distributed them nationally without paying the copyright holders) would be finally gone.

See ya
    Tony

6. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    So does that mean that us that do not have a local CW but receive ch. 251 instead, but, do not have the superstation package will lose that channel after the analog shutoff? I hope not and, I also don't see that happening.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The CW carriage is a private contract between the CW network and DISH network ... those stations are not "Superstations" as defined by law. Perhaps they will continue from digital feeds ... or in HD, but that is up to the parties in the private contract - not a potentially expiring federal law.

The individual "Superstations" could sign private contracts with DISH ... but they would need to get national clearance on all of their programming in order to resell it. The "Superstations" law helps in this situation by overriding the copyright concerns and allowing DISH (and DirecTV, if they choose) to carry the channels paying a rights fee defined by law instead of defined by private contracts.

8. mattfast1

mattfast1 Legend

Mar 26, 2008
    I would like to point out that KWGN2 (Denver) is also available in HD.

I don't foresee any shutoff of the superstations. But then again, I left my crystal ball at home today.

9. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I found the documentation. I remembered correctly about the specifics, just not where it was.

From http://www.fcc.gov/mb/shva/shviafac.html
    Notice they used the "-TV suffix. At the time there was no "-DT" but that is irrelevant if some one wanted to make a legal argument. Now how well the argument holds up is anyone's guess. But the "superstation" clause has alway had a "sunset" date. This may be it. :) Then again, I could be wrong as I often am.

--From the FCC Order (essentially the FCC's interpretation and ruling on the current law)
    http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Cable/Orders/2000/fcc00388.doc
    See ya
    Tony

10. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    First of all the provisions of SHVIA which is qupted above concerning the superstatiosn expired a few years ago. SHVERA is now the appropriate legislation. Quoting SHVIA language is pointless and both links above aer from SHVIA not SHVERA>

The superstations do NOT go away in February and the digital versions of those stations DO count as superstaions.

DISH is required to file a form that the US Copyrighht Office every six months listing the number of analog and DIGITAL subs to the supers. I keep asking people why this would bew required if the digital versions are not superdstaions. I jhave never received a reply but postings like this persist.

BTW the -DT suffix will go away in Feb 2009 and the digital sttatiosn will use the legacy call leters.

Sorry if I sound nasty but people keep trying to kill off the supers but they are here till SHVERA expires in and probably beyond that.

BTW even though I have posted this link many times before here is a link to the form
    http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formsci.pdf

11. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I wish there was a way we could completely redo, how stations are Broadcast, the rules they are using from the 50's are so outdated its not even funny. I miss my old white out area, yes I abused it, when I moved.
    TV Stations are using old laws, and buring the fact they aren't really LOCAL, they are part of big Media groups, and its all about control. Society has changed and is to mobile compared to archacy 1950's rules, and needs to be changed with the times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.