1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Superstations

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by CarolinaGuy79, Jun 14, 2011.

1. CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79 Legend

Sep 9, 2009
    Does anyone here still subscribes to the Superstations and if so why? I get all the Superstations even though I get all my locals cause I like watching the news in other states, I mean I will watch WGN just for the Chicago news, so I was just woundering why everyone else has the Superstations if they do.

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I used to when I was with E*. There is not a CW affiliate here. Heck back when I was with E* they were UPN and WB. I subbed to both of them. Dont forget that not all markets have a full compliment of locals.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I did - until the WB / UPN local affiliates were available on Dish. Since then - I haven't seen the need.

4. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    I use to, it was the reason I switched from Directv years ago. Dropped them last year because we weren't given the HD feed. If they ever offer us the HD feeds I would probably add them back.

5. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Have had them since the first day they were available. Still watch for news and few programs they have that my locals do not. Worth the $7 for me.

6. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    For me the big reason to have them was conflict resolution. Having the shows available at an earlier or later time meant I didn't have to choose which to miss. Now that CW is in HD OTA here, I can record those shows on the 3rd tuner for the same effect so I no longer subscribe.

7. Ohioankev

Ohioankev Legend

Jan 19, 2006
    I had the superstation package up until about two months ago. I do not watch My NetworkTV and WSBK (formerly UPN38) is basically just another syndication/independent station. I dropped the package and kept KWGN & KTLA for $4/month instead of the $7 for the package, saving myself $36 a year.

8. PeggyD

PeggyD AllStar

Apr 5, 2006
    I got the whole package when I first got Dish Network in September, 1998, mostly because KTLA carried many Dodger games. I dropped them a few years later, but have since re-added just KTLA. I grew up in Southern California & still have a lot of family there, so I like to watch the LA news occasionally. And KTLA has the best Tournament of Roses Parade coverage.

9. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    At one point. could watch Red Sox, Rockies and Dodgers on them. If they were HD, I might consider them, without baseball or HD, not really worth it to me.

10. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    WGN often prempts CW programming for sports. Never sure when they'll get around to broadcasting the CW program - sometimes late at night, sometimes days later - so Superstations provide an alternative. Do watch some other programs on Superstations but that's probably the main use. The other is time shifting when we forget to set a DVR timer and catch the program later or when there are too many programs we want to watch at the same time to record them all.

11. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    I would subscribe to WPIX if it were offered in HD for the sake of my wife. Our CW affiliate in Jackson, MS, WRBJ, has marginal SD picture quality. Watching The Vampire Diaries is awful, as items in the darker scenes can't be seen. Viewing the same scene on their website looks normal.

As far as I know, there are no plans for WRBJ to go HD. They have even taken down their website and facebook presence. I suspect this was because they got tired of being asked when they're going to broadcast in HD. They brought the station online in 2006, so I don't know why they didn't just go ahead and make it HD initially. I think that the decision was pathetic and short-sighted by management.

12. PeggyD

PeggyD AllStar

Apr 5, 2006
    The Dodgers moved from KTLA & the Rockies from KWGN several years ago. I don't know about the Red Sox.

13. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Salem, NH
    The talk around Boston is that the MyTV network is going to WSBK.

14. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    I subscribe mostly to see the New York, LA, Boston, and Denver newscasts. (I work in news so I'm not quite a typical viewer. Also get ABC & FOX from San Francisco and New York on waivers through All American Direct.) Having them is kind of like taking a brief trip out of town by turning on the TV!

Even if you're not interested in out-of-town news, it's still nice to have the SuperStations since shows are on at different times than they are on your local stations. Then you have more options at any given time. It's a lot easier than DVR'ing every show you might possibly want to watch. And for those concerned about them being CW or MNT affiliates, CW is only on the air for 4 hours a day and MNT only 2 hours!

15. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    If you are in the spotbeam coverage area, WWOR is now available in HD to superstation subscribers. It isn't mapped down, so only available at 6307 from 61.5 satellite.

Unknown if it will stay available to superstation subs (who are in the spotbeam) or if it is a mistake. Also, someone pointed out it really should be at 6305, so it might move there eventually.

16. wbowery

wbowery Cool Member

Jul 18, 2007
    We have had the Superstations for a long time. Mainly watch it of news from big cities around the country and to see old sitcoms. I check the Boston station in the fall for interesting ACC football games not on other channels.

17. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    It is now available in HD to the NYC local subscribers (just like WPIX. 63xx are for NYC locals only). I would not expect it be made available to Superstation subscribers.

18. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    But it is. :)

19. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    In HD?

20. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    Yes in HD. If you are in the spotbeam coverage for NY, channel 6307 is available in HD if you get WWOR as a superstation. It is not at 238 with the SD version, only at 6307.
    I am not in the NY DMA, I do not get WWOR as a network channel, the only way I get WWOR is via superstations. They turned HD on yesterday.
    But it is not on CONUS, so you have to be within the spotbeam range to get it. I am in Eastern Ct and get a signal from the spotbeam. I would not get it in Florida if I was at that home, too far from the spotbeam.