1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support Media Shared formats\files??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bmachia, Nov 11, 2008.

1. bmachia

bmachia AllStar

Dec 20, 2006
    I'm trying to get an understanding on the types of video formats supported through video on Media Shared. I'm seeing a number of different file types\extensions, like wmv-avi-mpeg yet there is always an X proceeding the video when I bring it up onto the TV

What encoding or formats can we play under Video?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Bill

2. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    Basically, only MPEG-2 is supported natively. There are two types of MPEG-2 supported:

Program Stream (PS) : This will not work with AC-3 (Dolby Digital) Audio
    Transport Stream (TS): This will work with AC-3 (Dolby Digital) Audio

Typically most common MPEG-2 (including VOB files from DVDs) are PS and if they have an AC-3 soundtrack, they will not play.

All other video formats will need to be transcoded (converted) to a supported MPEG-2 format.

3. bsboggs

bsboggs Legend

Oct 18, 2007
    Do you think this could change with the advent of MRV?

4. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    I hope so :) It would be nice to stream x264 without transcoding it first.

5. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    It would be even nicer to support MP3s without transcoding... :D

6. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    MP3s are simple to transcode and it takes little CPU and memory to accomplish. Right now, I can transcode MP3, wma, m4a, flac, and ogg from my NAS using MediaTomb. H.264 video is another beast altogether... I have little problem transcoding this on my quad core, but anyone with less than a dual core probably doesn't stand a chance. It should be a no-brainer since the HR2x already has hardware in place to decode/play this format.

7. bmachia

bmachia AllStar

Dec 20, 2006
    boilerit,
    What are you using (software) to transcode video?
    And,
    What are the input and output specs for this software?

bmachia

8. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    I am using MediaTomb in Ubuntu Linux. In MediaTomb, there really are no input and output specs. You can define in a config file any format you wish by associating file extension to a mimetype and it will stream this. You can transcode any format to another format by setting up a transcoding profile to use any application you wish (ffmpeg, vlc, mencoder, etc). You can also use a transcoding script to combine multiple applications. You have complete control of the transcoding application command line so you can specify bitrate, audio parameters, padding, mux output, etc. You are not locked in to specific transcoding options/formats that are present in other media servers.

The only disadvantage is that it is not available for Windows. The easiest way for a Windows machine to run MediaTomb is to create a linux virtual machine and run it from there. This is how I run it.

9. bmachia

bmachia AllStar

Dec 20, 2006
    I have an IBM Thinkpad A31 running Kubuntu, that I could use. As a matter of fact, I just upgraded it to IBEX this past weekend.

My only concern is my laptop does not have the horse power need for Video Conversion.

Do you see any reason why your Ubuntu software would not run on Kbuntu?

10. boilerjt

boilerjt Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    I doubt the Thinkpad A31 would would work very well for video transcoding. You could get it to transcode MPEG2 PS to TS, but this may about all it could handle. Music transcoding should be no problem, though.

To get MediaTomb working for an HR2x, it requires version 0.12.0, which has not been released yet. It is only available in SVN and you'll have to compile it. It should work with no problems in Kubuntu. For all you need to know (and more), see this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=128910

11. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes, I've been following your progress in the media share on NAS thread. And that's great. I may attempt to follow in your footsteps once there is actually a compiled version available.

However... native MP3 support on the HR2x platform also should be fairly easy to accomplish. I already have a NAS drive full of MP3s that the HR2Xs see, but cannot play. I understand the concept of trying to support the lowest common denominator, but support for pervasive (MP3) formats beyond that would seem to be

12. David Carmichael

David Carmichael Legend

Mar 11, 2007
    Does anybody know of a good freeware transcoder to convert video fromats to a streamable MPEG-2 format that will work with 'MEDIA SHARE'

You would kind of figured they would of supported the 'Windows Video Media' format..... "*.WVM"

--David

13. zamzickles

zamzickles Mentor

Sep 21, 2007
    I use MPEG Streamclip to convert files to TS format being careful to Name the output file as filename.MPG. This should stream correctly WITHOUT the need for Tiversity re-encode

http://www.squared5.com/