1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Supposedly DirecTV rooftop signal problem but no signal prob with existing Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Kiwipi, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Kiwipi

Kiwipi New Member

Aug 17, 2013
    We currently have Dish and want to switch to DirecTV because Dish got rid of Korean channel KBS. There are two satellites located on the roof, 1 for local, 1 for international programming.

DirectTV tech came out to do installation today and we were told that they could not put their satellities on the roof because of trees obscuring Southern sky view. They want to put 2 poles in the middle of our backyard to mount the 2 satellities + would have to dig up the yard to bury 60 ft of wire. I would have to call a digger's hotline, have them come out to the house to mark the area. Then schedule another installation appt. with DTV to do the actual installation. Installation would not be free and they said $75/pole and $1/foot for cable. Called main DTV number and verified the fee cost.

I don't understand WHY they cannot put the DirecTV satellities on the roof. Satellite signal is not a prob with the current Dish satellities up on the roof. Trees are not interrferring with Dish signal up on the roof so why/how come it would be such a problem with DirecTV? Is this a legit issue?

We would rather not dig up our backyard. Thanks in advance for any replies/insight!

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, DirecTV satellites faces on a different direction then dish.

3. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    DirecTV's satellites are not in the same place in the sky that Dish's are. You dont say where you are, if you are set on the eastern arc for Dish I could easily see a situation where Dish would be OK and DirecTV not. One thing does bother me is that I thought if a pole mount was required to receive service then it was no charge. You only had to pay if you wanted a pole mount for aesthetic or other personal reasons. I will let one of the installers confirm that part.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    True for O&O and HSP, but if they get a "sub-partner" they might have to pay since they buy the parts

5. Kiwipi

Kiwipi New Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Thanks, that make sense. Any chance of a different outcome if I call a local town tech and have them do a 2nd opinion of the site search?

I really, really don't want the backyard dug up and have random posts with sat sticking out in the yard.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can go to www.dishpointer.com and check your line of sight from the house, yard, and other locations. You want to check for aim to DirecTV satellites 95 (for Korean), 99, 101 and 103. That should give you a very good idea of what your options are for dish location.

7. Kiwipi

Kiwipi New Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Thanks so much for tip - greatly appreciate it! :) Checked it out and it's a great, helpful website.
    Thanks to all for your replies.