1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Surge on the coax between dish and house

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Nhooker001, Sep 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Nhooker001

Nhooker001 New Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Angel Fire, NM
    We had lightning strike a tree between our dish and the house. The coax for the dish runs in the ground nearby. No issues on the power, but it killed both dvr's and the HDMI board on 1 TV. I feel lucky. :) But we still have big trees and I am wondering whether a coax surge protector would be in order. Any ideas?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    With a lightning strike that close, I don't believe there is any surge protector that would have stopped that surge.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Won't help you. Despite what surge protector manufacturers might tell you, there is nothing you can do to protect your equipment against a close-in strike, except a complete house protection system using lightning rods (think the creation of a "cone of silence" around the house and dish.)
    Your dish should be correctly grounded, but that's mainly a safety issue. Surge protectors are OK protecting you against remotely-induced surges (such as the local electricity lines being hit by lightning, or electric surges when relays cut in and out) but not much good with close-in strikes. And many of them interfere with the signals to the dish which is why DirecTv does not approve them.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well, if the surge protector would take the hit and 'collapse' and burned out, it would be less damages to DVRs and TVs...
    perhaps as second line of defense after first line is the metal pole with mounted dish; I would recommend spend a ten bucks when you'll see it on sale;

who knows, if that's a thousand joules taken by DVRs and TV (seems to me much less, if TS did not pronunciate _burning_ components/boards), then current surge protectors [3000+ joules] would definitely prevent such damages.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    how a "pole mounted" dish would help?

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    the 2" pipe will be a ground. Add to this a ground block on the coax before it enters the structure, and that's about all you can do.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    as long as there is nothing attached to the dish. otherwise is "fair game" for surge through coax