1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Survey: 942-Voom channels missing extended guide information

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Jerry G, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    Please respond only if you find that you are missing extended (beyond the next 3 or 4 hours) guide data for any of the Voom channels and are not looking at the 129 bird.

I have a new 942 (purchased after finally getting fed up with the 921). In the 4 days I've had it, I'm finding that I'm intermittently missing extended guide data on 5 of the Voom channels:

Rave 9470
    Ultra 9478
    GuyTV 9479
    Monster 9481
    HDNews 9482

I've also had the 942 lose picture and spontaneously reboot while trying to access the guide for these Voom channels or using PIP with some of the Voom channels, even if the guide info is present.

I'm usually missing the guide data in the morning, regardless of whether or not I've enabled or disabled the middle of the night guide update. The extended data is usually present by the evening when it's missing in the morning, but by the next morning it's gone again. Timers set for these Voom channels the night before won't fire and I find that the guide information is missing when the timer didn't fire. If I do a switch test and successfully get all the Voom guide data downloaded after the switch test, the timers then fire. The check switch and subsequent download of guide data sometimes restores the missing Voom channel extended data and sometimes doesn't.

I'm using a Switch 64. I am not aimed at 129 (I know about the Voom channel problem for those looking at 129). Interestingly, at the same time the 942 is missing this data, my 811 has the extended data for these same Voom channels. That would suggest that the data is available, at least for the 811. Don't know if the 942 uses the same data stream. As an aside, many of the Voom channels are consistently out of sound sync.

Please indicate:

1. Switch being used?
    2. Which Voom channels are missing extended guide data?
    3. Is the data missing in the evening or morning?
    4. Do you have automatic updates enabled?
    5. Does a switch test or reboot restore the missing data?
    6. Has your 942 lost picture and then reboots while in the Voom channel guide?
    7. Describe any other observations that may help track down this problem.

Thanks.

2. geodi

geodi Cool Member

Aug 8, 2004
    I lost extended guide data for the same VOOM stations today. I had a timer set to fire off at 3 PM EST today for Rave, but no recording was present when I got home from work. Did a search for "Soundstage", just like I did last night, but came up empty, except for the local PBS station. That's when I switched over to the guide and saw the missing data for Rave and Monster. I guess that's why my 3PM timer didn't record. Last nite's 2 AM Monster time recorded fine. A power off boot and a switch test has not restored the data. I'll see what happens overnight......

3. geodi

geodi Cool Member

Aug 8, 2004
    2nd switch test restored the extended guide for the VOOM channels. I set a Rave timer for Sunday and turned off the automatic updates in the hope that the guide data will stay intact. I'll turn the auto updates back on after my Sunday timer completes (hopefully).

4. Moridin

Moridin Legend

Mar 21, 2005
    1. Switch being used?
    DPP44

Same as the ones you have listed.

Evening.

Yes.

Only sometimes.

I've never seen this.

The CSR I spoke with this evening suggested the problem is due to the fact that I don't "turn off" my 942. I'm highly skeptical, but I've re-enabled automatic standby mode after four hours of inactivity. I'll post tomorrow evening with my findings on this (almost certainly pointless) experiment.

5. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003

I tried that the other day. Turning off auto update didn't help. Will be interesting to see if it works for you. I set a timer for one of the problematic channels for tomorrow night. I did it as a manual timer. If I lose the guide data, I won't try to restore it and see if the manual timer fires.

6. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    I'm sure that isn't the problem. But will be interested in the results.

Since posting this survey, I talked with someone high up in the technical chain. While the regular tech support folks aren't aware of this loss of extended data on some of the Voom channels, the higher level tech people are, and it's apparently being worked on.

But, please keep on posting your findings and I'd encourage everyone who has this problem to report it to tech support. Perhaps the more extensive the problem is, the more arduously they will work on a fix.

7. geodi

geodi Cool Member

Aug 8, 2004
    This morning (5:10 AM), the extended guide was missing. Automatic standby was on and automatic updates was disabled. Extended guide was restored after the 2nd check switch. The Rave timer set yesterday was in place, but I deleted this timer and set a manual timer.

Although I noticed this problem yesterday, I actually don't know how long it has been occurring. Hoping the manual timer works OK.

8. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    Just checked this morning. Guide information for the same channels is now missing. The manual timer I set last night for an event this evening for one of these channels is still there, but of course, not displayed in the guide. This time, I'm not going to do a check switch to restore the data. I'll see if the data repopulates by the evening, or if it doesn't, if the manual timer will still fire.

9. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Yesterday , I had no extended guide on some of the Voom channels , but as of right now they are all back out 8 days. I thought maybe Voom was going Boom again.:sure:

10. geodi

geodi Cool Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Haven't done a scientific study, but the guide data always shows the current program running, even when the extended data disappears. So it seems that the guide data should re-populate at least for the current event. I, too, will not make an attempt to restore the extended data if it disappears. My manual timer won't fire up until Sunday. I restored the automatic update and auto standby is enabled.

BTW,
    1. Switch being used?
    DPP Twin, I think

Same as the ones you have listed.

Both.

Yes.

Reboot no, 2nd switch test.

No.

11. gdarwin

gdarwin AllStar

Jan 31, 2005
    Occuring now....

1. Switch being used?
    DP34

Rave 9470 Stops at 12pm
    Ultra 9478 Stops at 11am
    GuyTV 9479 Stops at 1:30pm
    Monster 9481 Stops at 1pm
    HDNews 9482 Stops at 12pm

See above

Yes

No

No

942 is turned off every night.

12. gdarwin

gdarwin AllStar

Jan 31, 2005
    Follow up.

After talking to tech support it seems my signal on the 110-119 dish is low. I have an appointment for them to come out and repoint the dish.

After doing a reboot, checking signals, check switch with them on the line, guide info came back to normal.

13. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    Follow up. After noticing that there was no extended guide, I turned the 942 off. A few minutes later I turned it on and checked the guide. Low and behold, the extended guide data was there. I had not done a check switch or rebooted. Seems as if the data was in the 942 but needed a little something to get it to display.

14. Oldcoot

Oldcoot AllStar

Dec 17, 2004
    1. - DP34
    2. - Monster and HD News
    3. - Evening
    4. - Yes
    5. - No, neither one
    6. - No
    7. - Guide data is missing on both my 942 and 921.

15. geodi

geodi Cool Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Update - 4 hours after my last post. Extended guide has disappeared. Manual timer shows "No info available". Sticking to my plan where I will not perform any actions to force the guide to reappear and see what happens with the timer.....

16. MichaelGS

MichaelGS Cool Member

Aug 19, 2005
    I have been noticing this problem on ONE of my 942s for about 9 days now....

1. Switch being used?

DPP44

Rave 9470
    Ultra 9478
    GuyTV 9479
    Monster 9481
    HDNews 9482

Various times but on at least one occasion I noticed the guide data was missing, powered off the DVR and then it was back. Turned up missing again the next day.

Yes

No, I have tried this many times and it never reappears. It has only returned when I turn the unit on again after a overnight powerdown.

No

Here is the weird thing.....I have two 942s. One of them has NEVER had this problem and always has the Voom guide info while the other shows "No Info Available" on these select Voom channels....??????

17. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003

Good. Post what happens. This is the test I was going to do, but then my guide data suddenly appeared. I'll see if it's still there when I get home tonigh.

Also, post if simply turning the 942 back on happens to restore the lost extended guide data.

18. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I am using the dish pro plus twin lnb with a side sat dish to 61.5 satellite. I have the automatic update set for 4:00 am in the morning. I lost the extended guide on most of the Voom channels yesterday but this morning they are all back. I checked again this afternoon and they are still there. A forced update by running a check switch did NOT update the guide data on the Voom channels yesterday when I tried to make it update. Today they are all fine and I guess it was a fluke that they lost the guide data. Maybe having them on both 61.5 and 129 at the same time caused problems? They were testing those channels there recently.

19. AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie Icon

Jul 27, 2004
    For what it's worth, I don’t have a 942 – just a 921 and I'm seeing the same “come and go” Voom guide issues.

20. MichaelGS

MichaelGS Cool Member

Aug 19, 2005
    I just got home from work and my "problem" 942 is now showing the missing Voom guide info. This has been on and off for over the last week.

My second dish is pointing to 61.5

For what it is worth......I joined this forum today just to discuss this one problem. The other forum I frequent has had no mention of this problem.

For the most part my 942s have been great.