1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Survivor 9 Talk-Week 1 (9/16)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Mark Holtz, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Welcome to the weekly Survivor Talk thread where you can discuss that weeks Survivor episode. Title and synopsis comes from TV Guide and the CBS website, and are posted within a day or so of the show's airing. Since some people do not want to "spoiled", spoiler protection will be placed on the title and highlights. In the past, however, the thread preview tended to show the spoilers when the mouse is hovered over the thread title. Thus, you will see "preview food" containing facts or trivia related to the region which is believed to be non-spoiler, and may be a source of contest questions. Here is the first one:

Vanuatu, an archipelago comprising some 80 islands in the southwest Pacific, is the location for the reality series' ninth edition. The area is known as the Pacific Rim of Fire due to dozens of active volcanoes.

On the season premiere of Survivor: Vanuatu-Islands Of Fire:
    [size=+2]They Came At Us With Spears![/size]
    • In the remote waters of the South Pacific near the tumultuous "Ring of Fire," 18 castaways will compete once again for the million-dollar prize. Who will outwit, outplay and outlast all others in Vanuatu, the Islands of Fire?
    • 18 castaways are divided into a male trive (Lopevi) and a female tribe (Yasur). Will Survivor history repeat itself?
    • A big twist is "a change in the frequency of tribal councils", according to executive producer Mark Burnett. They can occur at any time, and affect the players' ability to conspire before voting--affecting alliances and strategy.

2. Macmorn

Macmorn New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Ok first show is over and I just had to post some thoughts on it.

Now I admit I am not the sharpest stick in the bundlle but CBS must have used some type of IQ test to weed out the smarter contestants. Seems like they are going for people who may liven up the show with stupidity and moronic play. Sorry to be so brutal, and it's only one show, but I had great expectations and this season is starting off pretty poorly. Of course most of this applies just to the male team as we didn't get to see enough of the women to get a decent insight into their gameplay. I sure hope the men have some players who are laying low so as not to draw attention to themselves too eary, otherwise I think the women are going to walk right over them. However, I do see potential in the teacher. I hope he can get some decent guys behind him and start doing some selective weeding.

Anyway, what I am saying is I would have rather seen some highly intelligent, competitive and cunning players and I didn't see much of that at all.

thanks for reading,

Mac

3. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Do guys really have that bad a sense of balance?

4. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Maybe a fire test.... can you rub two sticks together and make fire? You can? You don't qualify. :lol:

I wonder if this is Rupert in the opening credits...

Attached Files:

5. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Looks more like a naitve to me. Rupert is a little heavier than that.

6. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Here's a question: who got voted off and why?

And mind you, I watched it. I barely saw who the guy was or why he was leaving explained. Did I miss something?

7. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Yeah, that happens when they spend the first 15 minutes with the natives killing the pig and climbing the greased pole. Of course, I thought the beginning was very cool, but this episode really needed to be 90 minutes long to let us see anything at all about the tribes settling in.

8. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Brooke.

I'm like you, after the tribal council, I had to rewind to see who the heck he even was. Brooke was mentioned for one brief second by Sarge when he was discussing with Chris The Unbalanced, who to vote off. I think he said Brooke had a mouth, or had an attitude, something to that effect.

I almost wish they didn't vote someone off the first week. I'm sure there is more going on in those first three days that we don't get to see, but the one hour we get to spend with the castaways does not provide enough time to start hating someone yet!

9. Macmorn

Macmorn New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    I believe Brook was voted off because the Highway Worker guy felt Brook was working/trying too hard and was making the others look bad. He also wasn't part of the initial group he alludes to as some of the guys he talked to as soon as they hit the beach, looks like highway guy picked the 3 or 4 numbest of his tribe and has got some alliance going with them, dumber leading the dumb, or so it seems to me...either that or the editors are really making them look bad on purpose.

Mac

10. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Slightly off topic on the current direction of the thread...but still related to the thread.

Is there a reason why the discussion is being based in the Contest Forum? Wouldn't it be more appropriate for the TV Talk Forum? Some people don't come to the Contest Forum but do show up in the TV Talk Forum.

11. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Because there was the possibility of a Survivor contest. Since that hasn't come to pass, I've moved the thread.

12. jpurkey

jpurkey Godfather

May 15, 2003
    Nahh, they just hire a couple thugs to follow contestants who have been selected for the show to make sure they don't read any books on fire making or do a search for it on the internet. :)

Seriously, I don't blame people for not knowing how to make fire, especially since I couldn't do it myself without doing research, but why would someone not only learn how to make fire, but also practice to see if they could do it, after they've been picked to be on the program? I assume they have some time (weeks, or at least days) to make arrangements to be away for more than a month.

13. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Just my impression... of the ladies...

Twila, to me, appears to be another Sue Hawk... a man trapped in a woman's body.

Scout appears to be the weakest link.

And wasn't it Chris who wasn't worried about the guys, but called the women conniving? Hmmm....

14. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Most likely they do. The one guy, Chris?, said that he only learned how to swim 6 weeks before the taping began. I guess it's possible a 30-something guy decideds that he wants to learn to swim mid-life...but my guess being on the show was more of the motivating factor.

15. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    yup, could have used a few more minutes...but it was pretty cool and a lot of wide eyes when the natives came with the spears :) some of the women looked pretty lazy ( the co-ed types)...kinda like Heidi and Jenna M.

16. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Here is my take so far,

Once again stupidity rains. Old guys form an alliance to knock off young guys instead of trying to keep the team and physical strong as possible. The first challanges are always the most physically requiring.

The first challange was designed for the woman to win. nice low crawl followed by a balance beam that was sure to catch one guy you can't balance. If you don't think they manufacture those challanges to get the result they are looking for, I think you should take another look. Survivor crew new the woman would win this one.. Definitely the odds were in their favor for sure by the design of th stunt. Why would they do this? Well, let the men dyhdrate more and level the physical playing field.

I really think they should start with 90 minute show. There was not enough time to get a feel for the cast. I think I am starting to get tired of Survivor. (I am sure it shows. ;) Couple of comments:

Chris will be the demise of a number of players before there time. He would try to be the big player and in doing so create some odd situations that will cost someone the game. Kinda of like the guy who causes the accident, but is not part of it.

The woman tribe will also seperate between the older woman and the younger woman. It seems to have started in the first episode. This is what happend last time and it will happen again. They will shuffle the teams at the right moment before the old or young get wiped out.

This one has all the making of the strong being taken out by the week again. :( Really hope I am wrong here because I do like to see strong players in the game.

At this point too hard to tell and I hope Mark B. team as a lot up their sleave. If not, there might not be a survivor 10.

17. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Things look to familar with the beach shot of the young ladies and the older woman working the camp. I see the tribe dividing young and old. What surprises me is the Men's camp is doing so also.

18. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Twila I don't think will be another Sue Hawk. Not sure about a man in a woman's body. Jeff P. Did indicate that she works 365 days a year and three jobs. When asked why survivor.. she said something to the effect that her she is wearing out. I think over time people will begin to root for her. Problem is here work ethic will get in the way, and she will get voted out for working too hard and expeting the same out of every one else.

Scout for sure seems the weakest link, however she kicked chris's butt in the challange so she might be stronger than we think. On paper for sure she looks like a likely candidate for an early departure, but it all depends on if the tribe votes the weakest member out or does what the men are doing which I personally consider at this point in the game stupid! :D

19. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Looks like Brook was a victum of an early old man alliance. Guess they felt he was the weakest of the young guys.

20. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    After last night's (9/30) comments, I still stand by my original statement. We have another Sue Hawk (who was a truck driver) here. A man stuck in a woman's body... and don't give her any BS....