1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Susan Boyle Wows Talent Judges

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Marlin Guy, Apr 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
  2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Watched that video last week on another forum. Great stuff.

3. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
  4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
  5. peak_reception

peak_reception Icon

Feb 10, 2008
    Just goes to prove the old adage, "Never judge a book by its cover." Great Stuff!:sunsmile:

6. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Great voice! Looks can be deceiving.

John

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yep, shame on pretty much the whole audience for their initial reaction.

I just saw this yesterday, and if there's any justice in the world this lady will get a big contract with someone. Wonder how she was missed as long as she was? Took all of about 10 seconds to tell she was a winner.

8. peak_reception

peak_reception Icon

Feb 10, 2008
    The youtube clip linked to in this thread now has over Ten Million views. Add in all the other clips with hundreds of thousands of views and there are upwards of 15 Million now total. Susan Boyle is now an International Phenomenon! :new_smili

9. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    She has a great set of pipes.

10. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
  11. Italia

Italia Godfather

Dec 8, 2008
    Has anyone become an instant celebrity quicker than her? I have not had any desire to watch her, have not yet....but I'm sick of her already! Not a knock on her but the media over saturation of her is mind blowing!

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    There are all kinds of reasons people are overwhelmed by her story and talent. But if you go to YouTube and watch the full version of her tryout, the important thing is to watch the judges including Simon Cowell. All three admit they judged her as a pathetic, over-the-hill wannabe before she opened her mouth to sing, as did the audience. That particular video doesn't have good sound quality so listen to her on one of the others and also the "lost" recording she did in 2000 for her local community.

The weird thing is, she has real competition and Simon is somewhat of a different person as you can see from this video on the ITV web site of a 12-year-old boy in week two.

What's impressive is "Britain's Got Talent". Try it, you might like it.:)

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Susan's homage is so humble. She wants to be like Elaine Page? Perhaps Elaine should wish to sing like Susan.

14. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    There's a number of videos posted on YouTube, but this one covers her entire segment. All three judges give her a standing ovation. She struggled a bit with the first few notes, but then showed her fantastic voice in a version of the song "Memory" from the musical "Cats."

15. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Right now the ITV.com player site is experiencing a "technical problem" so the video of the entire show isn't available.

16. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Thanks, phrelin, been looking forward to that all day.

17. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Gave me goosebumps!! One of my favorite songs and she was glorious!

18. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I hate to be the stinker, but I didn't enjoy this performance. The first one was great, the second one - not so much. Oh well, this is the beauty of art.

19. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    That's because one tires of perfection unless it's followed by more of the same. It's best to compare her to others ... her true talent is obvious then.

20. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I know it's totally unfair to compare American pop/rock/country entertainers because they are "entertainers" who sing, sort of, but what makes Susan Boyle different is that she has a very, very powerful, full singing voice and folks are finding that refershingly entertaining. There are Americans with such voices, but they aren't usually American idols (small "i" intentional). In fact, the last American I can think of who had such a voice and who reached "idol" level status was Barbra Streisand.

IMHO a show called "Britain's Got Talent" by its name implies something different than "American Idol" and so they see a different type of contestant.