1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV deadlines

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by joblo, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    Ya gotta love the U.S. Congress...

In 47USC340(h), as created by SHVERA section 202, there is the following:
    and in 47CFR76.66(c):
    Taken as whole, this means Congress has charged the FCC to pass a regulation NLT October 30, 2005 that will require notices by a DBS company NLT August 2, 2005, i.e. potentially 90 days prior to the regulation's existence, or else that DBS company could lose eligibility to carry SV stations in existing LIL markets until January 1, 2009, repeat NINE!

Could explain why the DBS companies don't want to wait for the final regulations, eh??

[Additional text deleted in repsonse to JL's post. --joblo]

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe you are misreading the code too tightly.

BTW: The elections are DUE by Oct 1st - E* has to notify stations by 60 days before the deadline, August 2nd not June 3rd. They do not actually have to begin transmission of SV stations by August 2nd. They only have to notify of the INTENT.

And the FCC has already greenlighted DBS providers carrying SV as soon as possible, with the assurance that if they accidentally carry a channel that is later deemed to be ineligible (such as if the rules are made late and E*'s guess is wrong) there will be no penalty. E* doesn't have to wait for the rules to make their announcements and get going on SV.

JL

3. joblo

joblo Godfather

Dec 10, 2003
    JL,

What I said originally was, "to gain eligibility for 2006-2008 by way of prior carriage under 47USC340(h)(3)(A)(iii)(II)", the notice date would work out to June 3. Of course, they could also gain eligibility under clause (I) by meeting the August 2 date, as I also said, below the first set of citations.

But I'll take your point that the additional text is confusing and edit it out.

4. News Junky

News Junky Icon

Mar 16, 2005
    We are assets owned by our local televistion stations. When we watch other channels we are depriving our local television stations of the advertising revenue they deserve and require. As long as we all remember who owns who it makes understanding the complexities easier.

(Only) Support your local TV station. Just say no to the potential the technological advancements of satellite communications. Support the restrictions and limitations on what media the American public may access. Never complain to your elected officials, just talk it over with the receptionist at your local television station if you must get your frustrations vented but make sure you're on hold before you start complaining.

5. RaceTrack

RaceTrack Cool Member

Jun 11, 2004
    I don't really think DBS providers even care about SV. I call them every 3 months or so, and they always say they know nothing about, and or don't know what i am talking about at all. So im not going to expect anything ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.