1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVideo Selectors

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by Steve Mehs, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Mar 2, 2003 #1 of 14
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I'm thinking about picking up an Svideo source selector from RadioShack for when I get Bell Express Vu. My A/V receiver only has three s/video inputs, SAT, VCR, DVD, and all three are currently being used. I could hook up the 3100 directly yo my TV, but my Video 2 in doesn't have svideo and I would like to stay away from composite. Question, with an Svideo selector, how much, (if any) picture degradation would I see? Normally the difference would be so minute I wouldn't care (like right now). I'm just worried that if I add in a second break I will start to notice degradation because of it. Here's how it will go: TV to A/V receiver, A/V receiver to selector, selector to 508 & 3100.

2. Mar 2, 2003 #2 of 14
    DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    If you plan on buying a $20 switch, your going to see a loss in picture quality. The better ones have an ac adapter and a built in booster to make up for the loss. I would run the vcr into the composite video input 2.

3. Mar 2, 2003 #3 of 14
    marko

marko Godfather

Jan 8, 2003
    dang, I just bought one of those last night. Oh well, I think it will do just fine on my 27 inch tv.

Can't believe I have 4 s-video's plugged, still not enough room.

4. Mar 2, 2003 #4 of 14
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Yeah but that kinda defeats the purpose of having an SVHS VCR :( I could use the inputs on my VCR to connect the 3100, but the'yre often occupied by my Sony Digital 8 camcorder. I'm pretty sure the selectors from RS are amplified.

5. Mar 3, 2003 #5 of 14
    DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Steve, I have the Rat Shack switch that converts composite to SVid and Analog audio to Toslink and it works great. Downside: it cost $170 and the remote is supposed to learn your power codes but it won't learn my Dish codes.

SIMA makes one that is $139. http://www.netbored.com/selectors/svs4d.htm

6. Mar 3, 2003 #6 of 14
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    What a time for something to go wrong :( Having the convience of a remote is well Worth the money and for $140 the quality should be excellent. But about an hour ago by CD burner went to hell, if I can find the Philips DVD burner for a decent price I'm going to get it to replace my CD-R with it. This was an unexpected set back for sure :( But I feel getting another CD burner will be a waste of money since it will be replaced by a DVD burner sooner or later. BEV might have to wait a little while longer.

7. Mar 4, 2003 #7 of 14
    PeterB

PeterB Legend

Jul 25, 2002
    $170 on a video switch, your almost there to a lower-end AV reciever with S-Video switching.. :)

8. Mar 4, 2003 #8 of 14
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually the price one the Radio Shack switch was reduced to $99.

9. Mar 4, 2003 #9 of 14
    ERSanders

ERSanders Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    I've mentioned this before, but here goes again. Look at this (if you can find it for sale anywhere) http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=431274/ut=4242d814f9e748bd

It is FULLY AUTOMATIC (or manually switchable if you want), 3 s-vid/composite inputs, 1 composite input, 4 s-vid or composite outputs.

I have two of them and they have worked flawlessly for about nine months. They send thru to the TV whichever device was last turned on by the STB's/DVD's/etc. own remote.

10. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Steve,

I am using this $30 Recoton A/V selector switch which has S-Video.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11062042&m=1&cat=784&scat=811

Even though it's a passive unit (not powered) it works just fine. I ran a video test pattern through the S-Video jacks and still came up with a full 500 lines of horizontal resolution with very minimal noise. Quite frankly I think passive units sometimes do better because some cheap amplified powered switchers can actually introduce noise to the video signal.

Don't worry about signal degradation. More likely than not, you won't see any. Just keep the cable lengths as short as possible.

11. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    My A/V receiver has 7 Video inputs with S-Video and 2 component but I wanted a solution for recording from my 501 or 6000 onto VHS without tieing up the A/V receiver.

This way I don't have to have the A/V receiver on and I can watch either a DVD, the other Dish box or play a CD or listen to the radio while recording something else.

It's a pretty cool setup. I can also send the signal to the bedroom via a modulator and control either Dish box from there with the UHF remote.

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Well maybe I can afford one after all :) Called Philips and my CD burner is still under warrenty, so they'll send me a replacement for free. So no DVD burner for me yet, but at least I can continue with my Bell quest. I'll look over everything mentioned here, my time frame to get a BEV system is late April-May, so in the next month-month and a helf I'll make my decision on which one to purchase. Thanks all for the suggestions!

Thanks a lot for the confirmation Chris! :)

13. johntoto11

johntoto11 AllStar

Jul 31, 2002
    I went to Sears and bought A Sony a/v selector wish s video it has 4 device imputs with s video, and one set of rca, s video outputs. It is A manual push button switch. I use all gold plated av cables for my entire HT setup.I bought most of my av cables at walmart.Their good quality at A good price. Reg price at Sears was I think 57.00 for the switch. Sears price matched the cheapest internet price I could find for about $41.00.I got A 3 year extended replacement warranty for about $5.00 more.I heard av switches have problems after A couple of years. I also at the same time bought A Sony DVD player that they price matched for $94.00. (reg. $100.00) . I'd say the picture quality change on my SONY 32 inch Triniton ,was either none or at the most 4% or 5% worse. all in all, most of the time I can't tell the difference. I'm very glad I now use A switch.Also Remember , if you try to get A price match at Sears , go prepared with printouts of the internet prices. I also told them I had to drive 50 miles to get to the store, which I did. At first the sales guy said he couldn't match the prices, but he caved and gave them to me any way. He just said "Don't tell anyone". Oops! I love Sears. Good luck!

14. marko

marko Godfather

Jan 8, 2003
    That looks like exactly like the one I have, except it says GE on it. Glad to hear it doesn't lose quality.