1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapped the son's PS3 HDD again

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by Jason Nipp, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Well second time replacing the HDD in the boy's PS3. I'm getting to be a pro now... :grin:

So now we went from 20GB to 320GB to now 500GB. I had to use an X-out bit on one of the screws though, I forgot how easily the screws strip out.

I freaked out for a second when I updated to 2.80 and it rebooted to tell me wrong hard drive.... :eek: ! But then I remembered that the unit already thinks it is on 2.80 because of the BIOS. So I immediately restored my system back up (9GB) and all was well. Now reading 465GB of usable space. Whoo Hoo we may not run out of space now! Well for another year..... *sigh* Damn downloadable games..... They should send you a disk so it doesn't need 100% of the game to remain on the HDD.

Oh and now to redownload all of the purchased games. That'll take a few days.

2. jonkeee

jonkeee Cool Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I've been wanting to do this for a while. Prices on 7200rpm 320gb hard drives are pretty cheap now. Congrats on your mega hard drive! I wish the 360 was upgradable like the PS3.

3. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    With the price difference between the 320 and 500GB note book drives now, I would definately recommend just spending the extra $50. We filled up the 320 about 9 months aftr we installed it, and a tight budget has kept us from upgrading again until now. We have been unable to install several new games that he got for his birthday, so he's happy now.

I bought the Seagate Momentus 500GB 16mb buffer 7200rpm drive.

4. jonkeee

jonkeee Cool Member

Jul 17, 2009
    You have any plans for the 320gb you took out? If it's 7200rpm and a Seagate or Western Digital, maybe we could work something out...

5. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I was going to put it into my laptop pc. Would you be interested in the 160 I want to pull out of that?

The 320 is a WD.

6. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    What did you use to backup the HDD before swapping it out? I have a 40 gig drive in mine and would like to put larger one in. I also have some stuff I downloaded from the PlayStation Store.

7. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I used a 16GB San Disk USB Thumb drive. But I also have a WD 500GB My Book external HD configured for backups as well.

I can email you the instructions on how to format and setup the directory structure for an EHDD, but it is much easier to back up to a thumb drive and redownload the purchased content.

The Store keeps record of all your purchases and you can redownload at any time without paying an additional charge. It also keep track of all the free stuff you download. At the top right corner there's a button for shopping cart, downloads, and checkout. Just click downloads for a complete DL history.

As far as your account settings, setup settings, and game data, it all gets saved during your system backup.

8. jonkeee

jonkeee Cool Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Looking to do at least 320gb to make it worth upgrading from 60gb.

As far as downloading things again from the PSN store. It's worth noting that they can only be downloaded 5 times each.

9. Aug 2, 2009 #9 of 16
    jonkeee

jonkeee Cool Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Well Jason I never heard back from you so I went ahead and ordered a Seagate 320gb 7200rpm drive from Newegg for $65. I must say changing out the hard drive was so pain free.

First, I backed up all my games, saves, etc. to an external USB hard drive. Then, the actual install took only a few minutes. It involves 5 screws and that's it. I took the opportunity to blow the dust out of my vents, while I was at it though so all in all I spent about 10 minutes doing everything. The amount of dust caked in those holes was incredible.

Once it was installed the PS3 knew to ask to format the drive, then I just had to restore my backup from the external hard drive.

It was so painless compared to the DRM Microsoft infects their downloadable games with. I was really pleasantly surprised to be able to copy my games right back over.

I bought a 60gb hard drive recently for my core 360 in the bedroom that cost me $80-85 and I assume is only 5400rpm. I think I'm falling in love with my PS3 again, despite its inferior graphics for most games...

Anyone who hasn't upgraded their PS3 HDD to a 7200rpm I really recommend it. It's so much faster than the stock, and then you don't have to worry about memory management.

10. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Does the PS3 allow backups to an CIFS mount on a network IP address?

11. jonkeee

jonkeee Cool Member

Jul 17, 2009
    That is way over my head sorry Milkman. Go Gators!

FSU Grad '08
    UF Grad '09

12. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Sorry, I ended up putting the old drive in my lattitude.

13. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Don't believe so.

14. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    This is the one thing I wish the XBOX 360 had... I'm still stuck with my launch 20GB hard drive, and I really don't want to pay $150.00 for a 120GB hard drive for the XBOX 360 :(

15. jonkeee

jonkeee Cool Member

Jul 17, 2009
    $150 for a 120gb hard drive is beyond ridiculous. The prices Microsoft charges for its accessories/extras in general are absurd. People who complain about the cost of the PS3 really need to look at the total costs incurred besides the initial investment, because overall the PS3 is more affordable.

Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter: $100
    PS3 " ": Included

Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery Pack: $12

Xbox 360 Online Multiplayer Subscription: $50 a year

Plus I hate Microsoft's phony Xbox Live Arcade currency that assumes people are idiots and thus will spend more because the points are confusingly denominated.

Sometimes I really hate Microsoft for being so greedy, but I'm a graphics whore so the fact that the Xbox 360 looks a little bit better graphics-wise than the PS3 is enough to turn me to the darkside.

16. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Look at it from the opposite perspective: personally I don't want or NEED a wireless adapter. Plenty of Cat5 around. Rechargeable battery packs are actually $10 for 2 plus the charger (at least last i saw them at Gamestop), and the online play? Integration is tighter and better on Live, and really teh ONLY thing you're paying for with Gold is multiplayer capability.

80 points per dollar. Not tough, either. And you can use them with the Zune Marketplace too.