1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Swapping cards among receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by mike62, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mike62

mike62 Mentor

Mar 9, 2006
    I have 5 receivers and one of my old DTV original TiVo models kept requiring a restart to bring it up and now finally that does not work any longer.

I have one of the old SD "Directors Pack" receivers. I called DTV to deactivate the DVR and reactivate the SD receiver with the old smart card from the TiVo DVR but was told it could cause problems and I needed to just order a new one.

I said no and deactivated it altogether but got to thinking maybe that was just the CS protocol to discourage such things. If I reactivate the smart card will it work in the SD Directors Pack receiver (the old small black boxes)?

Thank you.

2. codespy

codespy Packers or Bust!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    There are other ways around this which would have worked without calling DTV, but I think the Directors Pack receivers will be dead anyway come the end of the year. I do not believe they have the Advanced Program Guide and will likely get replaced by DTV for the ones that are still active.

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    Access cards are paired to the receiver. You cannot just swap a card from one receiver to the other. You would either need the card from that receiver, or more than likely, a new card which would run $20.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    It could be reactivated, but you should find right CSR/Card Autorith Dept and be persistent and creative during that conversation.

5. Shades228

Mar 18, 2008
    Perhaps you'd like to elaborate on being creative.

Many things could be done but that doesn't mean they should or will be done.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    If you asking for that, then you're not in the category :p.

7. Shades228

Mar 18, 2008
    Nah I'm just wondering what lies you think would accomplish what you're posting.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Still not in the category ... you should be creative ;)

9. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    this is wrong..you will need a new card

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    You are wrong, while I'm talking from personal experience with CSR. And it's not necessary to vocalize again OFFICIAL statement. Technically (by reprogramming ability of the card) you're clueless.

11. wahooq

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Oh I'm very aware of the capabilities of the card
    and what can and cant be done. What you are advocating
    and encouraging someone to do is something that is
    against policy. You are setting false expectations in the customers mind
    and encouraging them to try to do something that they will not be able to
    get done. And no...I'm not wrong

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    You are right by reading official policy and wrong in understanding how the card is working and wrong what could be done with the card technically by official representative from that Activation Card Dept.

13. wahooq

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Once again you are wrong how do you know that I dont work in ACDT

14. Shades228

Mar 18, 2008

Just because a car can go 120MPH doesn't mean that it's allowed to on the roads. Want another analogy that's closer? Just because you can have 2 receivers active at different homes doesn't mean that it's allowed. We could get into hundreds of these.

Just because something is technically capable of being done doesn't mean it's correct or will be. In this situation he will be required to get a new card. There are times when DIRECTV will intentionally allow an existing card to be moved to a new receiver. This isn't one of those and no matter how many times you say so it won't make it any more true. You're wrong in this situation so just move on.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    I'm stay on my position regardless how many times two of you would read me the script.

16. Shades228

Mar 18, 2008
    As Ben Franklin said, "The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance."

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    That's what I would say about you two. Repeating official statement and knowing the card could be transferred I would call it more then ignorance, hypocrisy at least. Don't see how you can apply "education" to yourself.

18. wahooq

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    :kisshead:
    :kisshead:

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    I think the thread is lost in our battle. :(

20. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    Wahooq and shades: He wasn't implying that they could call in and get a card moved.

Edit: I may have just taken what he was implying wrong.