1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Swapping Hopper with Sling for Original Hopper

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by waxdonuts, Feb 21, 2013.

1. waxdonuts

waxdonuts Mentor

May 29, 2002
    I just received a new Hopper with Sling and am replacing my original Hopper.

I have five Hopper remotes programmed for the original Hopper and dont want to have to program them again for the Hopper with Sling. Also, is there a way to save the original Hopper settings and timers and transfer them to the new Hopper?

Is there a good step by step approach to making this replacement go well?

Example:

1. Move all recordings to EHD
    2. Unplug all cables from original Hopper
    3. Remove power from Joey
    4. Remve power from original Hopper

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

George

2. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    Press and hold zero on one remote then choose back up. Then at the new receiver press and hold zero again and choose restore.

Or use the remote manager.

3. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Do as some guy said about the remote backup but the order I did it was :-

1. Backup to remote
    2. Move all recordings to EHD
    3. Remove power from Joey
    4. Remove power from Hopper
    5. Remove cables from Hopper
    6. Attach cables to HwS
    7. Power up HwS
    8. Restore from remote
    9. Attach EHD to HwS
    10. Power on Joey
    11. Link Joey
    12. Enjoy

4. waxdonuts

waxdonuts Mentor

May 29, 2002
    Thanks. Is there anyway to ensure that I don't have to reprogram all the remotes with the learned commands for other devices?

5. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Just use the same remotes. They're the same. You can link them to the new Hopper by pressing SYSTEM INFO on the front panel and hitting the SAT button on each remote until they beep.

6. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012

You also need to delink them before trying to pair them to the new receiver, if you don't, they won't pair to the new receiver since they are still paired to the old one. There is a way to manually delink the remotes using just the remote, but the quickest way is to hit system info and choose unpair, the remote will confirm with three beeps. After that is done, it should pair with the new hopper as described above.

7. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I've managed to link them before without delinking. Matter of fact the installer took one of my old Hoppers, I managed to get him to let me keep the old remote, paired up with the new HWS fine.

8. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010