1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWiM/DECA Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by The Merg, Sep 28, 2010.

1. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, the installer showed up at 8:40 am for my scheduled install. He had even called a bit before 8 am to say he was about 45 minutes out. It is now 9:15 am.

I showed him around and explained what I needed and how my setup was currently. He asked to look at my current "home run" area and hooked up the PI for the SWiM there. He then went out and started on the dish.

After a bit, he came back in and told me that he had to run a new line down to my laundry room as the previous dish was not grounded. He also stated that it appeared that one line was run down outside and 3 went in under the roof ridge line. To avoid causing a leak, he is going to cut the cables as close to the ridge line as possible, but will not pull them out until he gets in the attic and sees exactly how they are coming into the attic.

I will update as my install goes on...

- Merg

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    In the attic, two cables came in and went to the R22 in the bedroom. The third cable was diplexed with the cable home run to send the DirecTV signal down to the laundry room and then to the HR24. I removed the diplexer and put on a barrel connector so the bedroom home run was in one piece again.

While he finished up with the splitter in the laundry room, I connected the Broadband DECA, which was still the standard DECA. I also went ahead and hooked up the DECA for the R22.

The tech finished at 10:30 and was on his way. MRV is working great and my signal strength is phenomenal. I was appreciative of the extra work he had to do due to the bad initial installation I had.

I did mention if he had heard of DBSTalk and he stated that he had and was on here a lot, so if you're reading this, thanks again!

- Merg

3. Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Sounds like you have a good installer so far.....and now he is done and all is well! Enjoy!

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. Very knowledgeable. We both just had some issues trying to figure out what the initial installer had done so it could be corrected. :)

- Merg

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Woohoo! Good jobs are to be celebrated. :)

6. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Make sure you tip him :lol:

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Already did. :)

- Merg

8. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    AND, if you're so inclined, call the 800# for directv and praise the installer. it goes on the file, and apparently, right down to the installer's boss and to the installer himself. :)

9. goblazers_6

goblazers_6 AllStar

Apr 20, 2009
    True.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Done.

- Merg