1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWIM PI functionality

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by chefwong, Jul 29, 2010.

1. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    I assuming the PI is to *power* the ~swim mulitswitch~.
    Just thinking outloud....as I've got a UPS for the receiver, just moreso to prevent downloading for data during summer - minute electrical blips but I just realized then in the event of a power outage...if not power to SWIM PI, then video as a whole is pretty useless....if power outage was to occur.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The power inserter powers the SWM switch AND the LNB. Legacy switches are usually passive (no power of their own), with the LNB and any switches powered by the receiver.

So, yes, without your PI being on a UPS, you won't have video from your sat system in the event of a power outage.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    So put the PI next to the receiver and power it off the same UPS...

4. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    You need to put the receiver, SWiM PI and DECA PI on an UPS. If yo do, you have all the bases covered.

5. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    Not exactly just that simple when you have the branch connections on a different floor/location - that is remotely not near a receiver.

But yes, to cover all my bases, then all the *failure or working points*, however you want to look at it, would need to be on a UPS's.

It's just *tv* for me...just some food for thought...as I was dropping a retired 1U receiver from work into my media cabinet and was thinking about the PI for the switch...

6. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    When referring to just the SWM PI it really doesn't matter how many floors or branch connections there are. You can place that PI next to the receiver (and on the receiver's UPS) as long as it feeds the power passing port(s) on your splitter(s). I can see how it would be difficult for DECA dongles on seperate receivers, but the SWM PI should be quite simple...

7. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    We'll I probably go a litle overboard in that I have four UPS in my house. One 1500 Belkin UPS for the main computer and all of my network gear. A second 1500 Belkin UPS for two HD DVRS, audio reciever and Plasma. I have a third APC 750 UPS for the two receivers in the bedroom with the 32"LCD. and a 350 APC UPS in the guest room for the 23" LCD, one receiver, SWiM PI and DECA PI. Hard drives are too touchy and I would prefer to not lose one for a power glitch. I can get 15-20 minutes full coverage wich takes care of 99% of my outages.