1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SWiM splitter vs switch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by MattWarner, May 23, 2013.

1. MattWarner

MattWarner Legend

Feb 11, 2007
    Thinking about coming back to DirecTV after a year or two with cable. Previously, I had a non swim install (two HR20s). While an installer was next door, I asked him a few tech questions about coming back and I want to run what he recommended by the forum here.

I have two TVs (one used all the time, one seldom); four coaxes run from the dish from the previous install with two coaxes to each room. I want a Genie in the den and a Genie mini in the bedroom.

With that, the installer recommended using a SWiM splitter at the side of the house (replacing the grounding block). One leg goes to the Den, one leg goes to the bedroom.

My questions are:

#1 - Can a SWiM splitter be grounded enough to replace a grounding block?
    #2 - Can a SWiM splitter be exposed to the elements outside?
    #3 - Can a SWiM splitter be placed in the middle of a coax run or does it need to be at the receiver end?
    #4 - Does it make since to use a 1x2 SWiM splitter instead of a SWim switch if you only need two legs?

Thanks in advance..

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Basically yes to all of your questions. The LNB assembly in the dish will also be replaced and only one of the four existing coax will be connected.

3. MattWarner

MattWarner Legend

Feb 11, 2007
    Perfect. Thanks Carl6 for the reply!

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    There's really no need to replace the current 4 barrel grounding block;

Just use one of its coax output runs to a SWiM splitter which you then wouldn't need to ground.

For instance if you call for a DIRECTV install they won't ground the splitter either, but might replace the 4 barrel GB with a single barrel one which then connects to an un-gounded SWiM splitter.

Everything else is as carl6 states ...

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Note that if you use a splitter to ground the system, that splitter MUST be BEFORE the power inserter.

6. MattWarner

MattWarner Legend

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks, gang!