1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SWiM16 price ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Rickt1962, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    I have a Legacy AU9-SL5 dish and getting ready to convert to Single wire system. Planning on getting the HR34 to add to my 2 HR21's so my math is 9 tuners total. Is this correct ? The upgrade is $ 200.00 out of pocket !

http://www.satpro.tv/swm-16-2.aspx

And now I am thinking about changing the LNB to a SL3 to speed up my system

2. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Get DirecTV to do the installation. The single installation fee will cover everything.
    And FYI moving from the SL5 to the SL3 will have no effect on the speed of your system.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    In the other thread, I posted some steps to check to see what differences changing LNB settings would make.
    I haven't seen a reply, so I'll agree with texasbrit that it won't make one bit of difference changing from the SL5 to a SL3.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I had an SL5 until June of this year. When they upgraded me to the SWM system they put in a SL3 because I did not need anything on the 110 or the 119 where I live.

There was zero change in speed from the change.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Once you change to SWiM [and in his case a -16] you can change the receiver's setting to SL3 or SL5, as the SWiM works the same and only the receiver will change the tuning commands to not look for the 110 & 119 SATs.

The concept of a difference between the SL3 & SL5 for speed is a myth.

The OP changed to a 18" dish and saw some speed improvement, but hasn't taken any of the steps to see if this wasn't anything more than dumping the guide data and restarting.

6. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Wouldn't the guide data be much smaller with an 18" dish. I've noticed channels from other sats don't appear when you aren't pointing at them. That could explain the speed difference.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The guide data feed is the same, but what the receiver parses/uses would be the difference.

The OP could connect the receiver back to the slimline, but keep the receiver setup still for the 18", and see if there are any changes.
    This was what I suggested in the other thread, but it hasn't been done or had the results posted.

8. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    You should check the SWM16 prices on eBay. They are a LOT less than $200. Like, 75% less.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    +1
    Have you even talked with DirecTV about this upgrade? It could be as much as $299 for the 34 plus installation or it could be free. But well worth the call.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    All ill say about ebay is... Buyer beware.

11. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    The safest and smartest thing you can do to protect yourself on a ebay purchase is to pay through PayPal.

If you have a problem with anything you paid for via PayPal you can dispute it through them and believe me, as a former ebay seller I can tell you that PayPal weighs their resolutions heavily toward the buyer and away from the seller...to an almost unfathomable degree sometimes.

Once PayPal finds in your favor they will refund you your money and then put the seller on the hook to make good on it to them.

12. br408408

br408408 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    +1

I have purchased over 250 items on ebay...a few Directv items...most not. I have never been ripped off once. I think that many people that don't use ebay like to believe that ebay is full of thieves and your chance of being ripped off is 50 percent....this is simply not true. Would they have lasted all these years if most people got ripped off? Check the sellers feedback and the number of sales. Also, paypal will go to bat for you, the buyer, over the seller as HarleyD said.

13. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Now craigslist on the other hand is total anarchy.

14. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    more like seller beware.....no recourse what so ever if buyer claims its broken even without proof.....

15. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    I'll be happy to sell you a SWM-16 for much less than $200 as I just switched out for a SWM-32.

16. Mike32280

Mike32280 AllStar

Oct 11, 2007
    Amazon seems to have pretty decent prices....any reason to shy away from amazon?

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Amazon doesn't sell most DIRECTV equipment, but their marketplace partners do. Amazon is very good about acting as a gobetween for you if you have a problem, but in my experience they don't really understand the difference between owned and leased equipment, and while they certify their product, they seem to have only minimal awareness of the large amount of stolen equipment out there being sold as legitimate equipment. This is something that you hear the legitimate web sites talk about all the time... that unscrupulous installers mark something as replaced or installed when the customer doesn't need it replaced or installed, so there's this piece of equipment out there that didn't cost anything and it's being sold far below cost because it didn't really cost anything.

18. hjones4841

hjones4841 Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    I have bought quite a bit of DirecTV gear recently from Solid Signal and their service is top notch. You may pay a few extra dollars, but they are available to help if needed,

19. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
  20. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Only if your tuner count goes over 8.