1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch or Connection or 622 Issue?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Mokanic, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mokanic

Mokanic AllStar

Jan 29, 2007
    Satellite went blank last night around 0230. I wasn't able to even get the OTA channels to tune in through the 622. Came through fine with TV tuner.
    Tried the test switch screen. No luck.
    Did a reset with the power button on front of receiver. Came up to the test switch screen again. Eventually got to the "Acquiring Satellite Signal" screen. It goes to 110 and 119 then X satellite. No reception.
    I have checked all connections between back of receiver and dish. Everything OK.
    Called Customer Service and was advised (after running through all checks again) that a technician would be sent (for a fee, with no credit given if it's in the leased equipment. I've got to re-read that agreement).

Before I go that route, does anyone have any suggestions or troubleshooting tips I haven't thought of?

Thanks
    David

2. Mokanic

Mokanic AllStar

Jan 29, 2007
    Did a hard reset also. No Joy.
    I am on the phone with customer service again. I am trying to get to a technical person to help troubleshoot this problem.

3. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Since both OTA and your Sat connections have failed, I think it has to be something wrong with your 622. Probably needs to be returned.

To confirm, do you have another receiver that you can temporarily disconnect and move it to where the 622 is and then see if it grabs the sats?

4. Mokanic

Mokanic AllStar

Jan 29, 2007
    No, I'm afraid not.
    I have just ran a new RG-6 cable from dish to switch. Same results.

If I bypass the switch, will that be able to tell me anything?

Thanks DBS Commando.

David

5. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Its not worth the trouble. The fact that your OTA doesn't work on the 622 but works on your TV tells me that the 622 is probably KIA.

Ask Dish for a new one

6. Mokanic

Mokanic AllStar

Jan 29, 2007
    OK. Thanks for the help.

A technician is scheduled to come out tomorrow AM.

He/She will probably carry a switch. I wonder if they'll have a working receiver on his truck or if I'm gonna have to wait a few more days.

I need to make other arrangements for my recordings from OTA. Smallville will have to wait. These new toys are fun. But, they can interrupt habits when something goes awry. : (

Once again, thanks for the assistance.

David

7. Mokanic

Mokanic AllStar

Jan 29, 2007
    Egg on my face and and $30 lighter in the wallet. The cable was bad. I terminated one end incorrectly and didn't check it.

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it;

When the installer originally installed the system, I requested he use existing cable that was already running from my big dish satellite and not have to dig across a rock driveway. He respected my wishes (it was noted on the installation paperwork) and used the Ku side of the wiring that I had. It wasn't being used because I only had a C-Band LNB on my BUD. It is RG-6. BUT, it will only handle 12 volts. It might work five minutes or five years (five months in my case), but it WILL eventually fail. As it did, Sunday AM.

The cable Dish Network needs is able to handle the 18 volts that is sent across the wire. The technician today reterminated the cabling, which I had tried yesterday and we have a working satellite. So, I have buried the correct cabling (except across the driveway, heavy duty tools needed) and lesson learned. Use the proper cable.

8. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Glad you got it fixed.

Enjoy

9. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Sounds like one of my stunts. Don't know what's under your driveway, sand, soil, rock etc but have you thought about using 3/4" PVC with a hose adapter glued on one end and the tunneling nozzle that is made for this purpose. Home Depot and Lowes have them and so would any store that carries PVC.

10. Mokanic

Mokanic AllStar

Jan 29, 2007
    The driveway has had crush and run and rock. The crush and run is like concrete right now. I am planning on using pvc once I get it "drilled" down deep enough. I will check the tunneling nozzle out and see if it will go through hard compacted crush and run. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.