1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch to D* from E* for the HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by av8nautiger, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 7, 2006 #1 of 18
    av8nautiger

av8nautiger New Member

Sep 7, 2006
    HELP! I just found out about this HR20 which sounds great but I am a long time E* customer! I just bought my first HDTV and have an installation scheduled with E* for an HD-DVR (622) next week. This upgrade is costing me $$ plus an 18 mo commitment but I have heard that HD picture quality on D* is inferior to E*.
    What I'm asking is if I should switch to get this HR20? I called D* and they said I have to get the HR20 at a retailer but the cost would still be a little cheaper with D* vice E* but I am worried about PQ and the lack of HD channels on D*. I am in the DC area.
    Any opinions?:confused:

2. Sep 8, 2006 #2 of 18
    mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    Directv won't be adding any more national HD programming until sometime in 2007 after their two new sats go up. If you've been happy with Dish, I'd stick with them and check back in next year on where Directv stands.

Wouldn't hurt to try out the 622 if Dish gives you any time to cancel your order and return it if your not happy with it also.

3. Sep 8, 2006 #3 of 18
    Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    Dave has a better picture quality than Charlie and the programming is far superior.

4. Sep 8, 2006 #4 of 18
    juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    who's dave?

5. Sep 8, 2006 #5 of 18
    Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Wendy's ?

6. Sep 8, 2006 #6 of 18
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Dave's not here, man.

7. Sep 8, 2006 #7 of 18
    jonaswan2

jonaswan2 Icon

Oct 29, 2005
    Who knows, as far as I'm concerned Chase is the CEO of DirecTV, not "Dave."

8. Sep 8, 2006 #8 of 18
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    :D I get it D*=Dave

9. Sep 8, 2006 #9 of 18
    noneroy

noneroy Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    I certainly am not trying to create a flame war, but my honest opinion of E*'s HD offerings can be summed up as: :rolleyes:

Sure, they have a ton of channels, but it's the whole quantity versus quality debate. E* has a few channels I wish D* had (National Geographic Channel, Food Network) but the channels mostly seem to be filler from Voom. Do you really think you are going to watch MonstersHD, KungFu HD or RaveHD that much? They seem like filler channels to make it look like they are offering more stuff, even though there are only a few channels you'd probably watch. The reason is these are very small channels and don't have the budget to buy good programming.

But that's just me. I don't feel like I"m missing out. I'm also unclear as to E*'s local HD TV offerings. Someone else will have to speak to that...

My money is on D*. I think they have the long term plan to win the HD war. Until then I'll just watch Sunday Ticket. But this is only one person's opinion. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want on this subject (since it can get rather flamey).

10. Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    Since DISH committed bank fraud against me (investigation still ongoing), and D* as given me money (account credit) I'd say dump E* for D*.

11. vikingguy

vikingguy Legend

Aug 1, 2005
    Not to piss anyone off but I think your best bet would be to stay with E* till atleast late next year. Hopefully by then the new HR-20 will have most of the kinks ironed out and the new satallites will be operational. From what I have read the 622 seems to be a very solid stable dvr. I am sure the Hr-20 will get there some day to but why put up with the headace of beta testing during the new fall tv season.

12. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith AllStar

Sep 2, 2006
    Does anyone know where these two new sats will be located?

13. mechman

mechman Legend

Apr 29, 2006
    In the sky, 22,000 miles up....:)

mechman

14. Badger

Badger Legend

Jan 30, 2006
    There does seem to be one major flaw with the 622. The HDMI connection on the 622 seems to be failing for lots who are using it and E*'s answer to some has been "no sense us sending you another 622 because it will just happen to that one also" (paraphrased). It seems the solder conection on the PC board lifts from the board and poof no HDMI. It will be corrected in time but why take the chance? DVR recording MAY be gone from E* soon depending on what the court system does or a agreement between Tivo and E* but why take the chance? Check on this forum for more info.

15. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    99 & 103.

16. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    'cause if they weren't, everyone would be enjoying a new install of a 7 lnb satellite dish!! :hurah: :hurah: :hurah:

/me ducks

17. mbetts

mbetts New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Stick with E*. You'll actually have something to record.

18. cybok0

cybok0 Godfather

Jan 5, 2006

thats funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :uglyhamme

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.