1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching back to Dish, maybe?!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by MistyEyes, Feb 2, 2009.

1. MistyEyes

MistyEyes Cool Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Hi all!

2 years ago we were with Dish.
    We switched to Directv because that was the time where Dish had removed Court TV, and that was a must have, at that time.
    Now 2 years later, our contract is up (thank goodness)!!!
    I have gone through 4, R-15 300's and 1, R16 300 and I can not wait to get rid of it! YUK!

Now my question about Dish is regarding their DVR/s.
    As of right now, we have standard vision, not HD, so ..
    When I get a DVR, do I want to get the HD or standard?
    This DVR goes in the bedroom as hubby is NOT a tech person, and would not know what to do with it.
    I also need it to be a 2 room DVR where I can use the remote to change channels.
    My Remote now, from Directv is an RF remote.

I am also curious as to what is on the back of these units, because I record from DVR to Computer via S-Video + audio outputs.

I also just got notice that Directv is going up on their price, so that I think put the icing on the cake!

Any information you can share will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you all so much!!!

2. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Unless you plan on having an HDTV before install, go with the SD DVR. Plus it is a 2-TV receiver.

Tv1 has coax, RCA and S-video. TV2 has coax and RCA.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you think you might be upgrading to HD soon, you'll want to do it now, because Dish makes you wait 12 months before you can do an upgrade, unless you buy the receiver outright. The two-room receivers only output in HD to the TV1; the TV2 is normally connected with coax, and is SD-only.

4. chainblu

chainblu Legend

May 14, 2006
    She might be in an EA DMA, in which case she would get an HD receiver(s) regardless.

5. Islandguy43

Islandguy43 Legend

Oct 2, 2007
    You might want one of the vip722, 622 or 612 hd dvr's anyways, because there are channels that are only available in hd, but can be viewed on a sd tv. Plus, when you do buy a hdtv in the future, you will be all set with no upgrade process.

6. MistyEyes

MistyEyes Cool Member

Apr 29, 2007
    What is EA DMA ??
    thanks

I am going to call Dish and price this stuff out.
    It makes sense to get these HD receivers and DVRs now since our GOVMent is making us go digi, and the better TVs are HD.
    I just wish those TVs would come down in price a little faster LOL!

Thanks all!

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The digital transition has virtually nothing to do with HD, and is pretty meaningless to satellite subscribers anyway.