1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching from D*, have questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by VicF, Apr 16, 2013.

1. VicF

VicF AllStar

Sep 5, 2006
    When you "move" a recorded primetime program (CBS, ABC, etc) to an iPad does it remove it from the Hopper, and what if you have 2 Hoppers?

Can the Hopper watch/record over the air ATSC/HD, and if so does it use one of the 3 receivers in the Hopper?

Will DISH install 2 Hoppers with one Joey for a new customer, and if so what is the likely cost if any?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Skipping the first two questions.

Only DISH can tell you with confidence what they're going to charge you as it is dependent on your creditworthiness. If you have awesome credit, I'd suggest voice calling DISH or an authorized reseller and seeing what they will offer you.

3. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    I'm fairly certain that when you move a program to the iPad, a copy stays on the Hopper. Haven't done it myself so I can't say for sure...

You need to purchase an external USB tuner for the Hopper in order to receive/record OTA. These are single-tuner devices, and you can only hook them up to Hoppers, so if you need to record 2 programs OTA at once, you'll need two external tuners and two Hoppers. With an OTA Tuner attached, you could in theory record up to 7 programs at once per Hopper (4 PTAT, 2 individual tuners, 1 OTA) during PrimeTime, or 4 the rest of the day.

Send a PM to Ray, a DIRT member who frequents this forum. He'll be able to get you all the information on pricing.

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I though I heard that if you copy a recording to the iPad, and it had DRM like a HBO movie that it made it unplayable until put back. But if it's a regular network then it's not blocked.

5. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    You will only be able to get this done thru a reseller. Going direct to Dish will not work as they want a Joey for each Hopper. Using a reseller they can get around this "limitation".

6. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Content transferred from the Hopper w/Sling to an iPad remains on the Hopper HD except for HBO and Cinemax recordings. This content is removed but you can record the same program again. Thanks.

7. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Lots of folks order 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys and just refuse 1 of the Joeys at time of install.

8. jimd909

jimd909 AllStar

Sep 30, 2007
    That is the setup I'm getting this Saturday. I called and asked for 2 hoppers and 1 joey. Initially, they told me they can only do 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I told him I had that in the past and he asked is supervisor and then said they will do 2 hoppers and 1 joey. I was originally charged $99 for the hopper. When I got my email confirmation, it said 1 Rcvr Hopper, 1 Rcvr Hopper with Sling, 1 Rcvr Joey. I called and asked to 2 Hopper with Sling and they billed me another $100. So, I had to pay $199 for the additional hopper with sling.

Hope this helps.