1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching from Dish, Install Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Daverph, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Daverph

Daverph New Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Hello, I am switching over from DISH and the installation is scheduled for this Wed. All coax runs in my house are home-runned to a single location in my garage except 1. This one is fed from a Dual DVR receiver and there lays my problem. I have to coax feed from my garage going to the DVR location so that is no problem, but DIRECTTV's HD DVR is not a dual receiver so I can not feed my other location like I am now.

Could I split one of the 2 feeds to the HD DVR before it is connected to the receiver to feed this other location or do any of you have any other type of work-around. Running more cables in the house is NOT an option.

Any other hints for install day would be appreciated too.

Thanks

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If the installer brings a SWM LNB, you could use a splitter at the DVR location to feed the cable to the other receiver. SWM is limited to 8 tuners so wouldn't work if you need more (DVRs count as two tuners).

3. Daverph

Daverph New Member

Jul 15, 2006
    I am going to have 3 regular receivers, 1 HD receiver and 1 HD DVR receiver. I have to Coax lines going to the HD and HD DVR locations so no problem there. the HD DVR location feed a tv on a lower level so if I understand correctly I will be able to split one of the 2 feeds going to the HD DVR and feed this secondary location. That's good news if the installer brings the necesary equipment. Thanks

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If I understand what you are wanting to do correctly, you should be able to do it providing you are given an SWM installation.

The SWM LNB is capable of feeding 8 tuners total. There are two tuners in a DVR, and one tuner in each HD or SD receiver. In your case, that adds up to a total of six tuners (3 SD receivers, 1 HD receiver, 1 HD DVR).

From the dish, a single coax goes to your central point. There you will have a power inserter. The output of the power inserter then goes to a multi-way splitter that feeds all of the home-run coax lines.

At the DVR location, you put in a two-way splitter. Take the line coming from the central distribution point and connect it to the input of that splitter. Take one output of that splitter to feed the HD DVR. Take the other output of that splitter to feed the odd coax that goes to your other tv location. You will need a DirecTV receiver at that last location.

Carl

5. Daverph

Daverph New Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Just an FYI to my previous question:

The installer showed up this morning at 8am for the scheduled 8-12 time, bonus point #1. I then learned that all my receivers would be HD since that was all they stocked, bonus point #2. He used the new slimline dish and only needed 1 feed from the dish to a 8-way connection in my garage. From this connection he only needed 1 coax to the HD DVR for it to work which allowed me to feed the location I was concerned about with the 2nd coax run, bonus point # 3. Everything is up and running correctly and I just don't understand why I did not switch earlier. Maybe I got lucky with a great installer, but he was 1000x better than when I had Dish installed and had to re-do most of the work myself.