1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching From Dish Network to DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RoughDobermann, Mar 16, 2010.

1. RoughDobermann

RoughDobermann AllStar

Jun 13, 2009
    And I have a few questions. I called DirecTV to get these questions answered, and wasn't satisfied with the responses (which was "it should").

1) It looks like I will get a HD DVR and a HD receiver at no cost. My question is: will both of these receivers be supplied with an RF remote? It looks like I can buy RF remotes, but I'm of the opinion that these should come standard.

1.5) Can the volume and mute buttons be set to control my Onkyo receiver's volume and mute WITHOUT having to change the little slider switch on the remote?

2) What model number DVR will I get? The CSR said, "either a HR10, 20, 21, 22 or 23" Errr, could you narrow that down, please?

3) Can/will the new dish be located at the same location as my old Dish dish?

4) The wife is really sensitive to sound. How do the DirecTV DVRs compare to Dish's 722 with regard to sound/noise?

Thanks for any information/answers!

2. bjamin82

bjamin82 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    1. I have heard that the HR should come with an RF but both of mine didn't... and both of my H series never did as well.
    1.5. Yes
    2. No way to tell on the model... If you want something specific, you could go down to Costco and sign up there, the HR's are just on the floor.
    3. Not sure, I guess it could if you have good LOS to D* Sats... but you would have to take down the old Dish sat, my installer wouldn't even remove the old D* Sat off my new house.
    4. Mine are both quiet but they are in cabinets

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Both the HR and H receivers can do RF for the remote, but only the HR's come with a RF remote control, for the H you'll have to purchase one.

Yes, you can select volume lock or not when you program the remote.

Sorry but it's pot luck. I will say you won't get a HR10, that's the old Tivo unit that doesn't do MPEG4 HD. For your non DVR box, if they try to give you a H20 I'd recommend telling them you want a H21 or H23 since they have ethernet connections on them. If you get a H20 you won't be able to use MultiRoom Viewing, TVApps or MediaShare.

All depends on where it is. DirecTV needs to see at least 99/101/103 satellites and maybe 119 if your SD locals are there or you ordered some international programming. You can use www.dishpointer.com to see which way the dish needs to go.

The HR20's I have had were a bit loud for dish drive seeking, no way would they work in a bedroom environment. The HR21/22/23's that I have are quiet.

Hope that helps.

4. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    1. most of the time the HD units do come with RF Remotes
    2, HR 21 or HR23 most likely
    3. Probably close, but not exactly the same location
    4 The fan, etc are very quiet

5. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    How do you know if you have a RF remote? Is the model number different? I purchased a HR 21 and (2) HR 22 from Direct TV and I'm pretty sure none of them came with RF remotes.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Easy way, is there a sticker on the back of the remot saying what the FCC ID is, if there is one its a RF/IR remote, no sticker, IR only.

7. RoughDobermann

RoughDobermann AllStar

Jun 13, 2009
    You guys are great, thanks. What is the difference between an H and HR receiver?

Edit: H are the non-DVRs, right?

8. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Not sure if it is a clear indicator but my RF remote that came with my HR20 says "RC34" on it (above the TV Input button). The light up RF that I ordered says "RC32RF"

9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    HR is HD DVR, H is a non DVR HD receiver.

10. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    I'll give it a shot

I'm surprised you'd get these for free, but if you do more power to ya.

The HD DVRs are RF compatible, along with their remotes. I'm not sure on the HD Receivers, but i know the remotes that come with them are RF compatible.

if a code exists, yes. Search on the DirecTV website for the Remote Code lookup tool and verify your device is supported.

Nope, you'll get an HR2X for the HD DVR and H2x for the HD receiver. Depends on what is in stock at the installer. If you need a specific IRD model, go to best buy/sams club/costco and look through their stock. You'll pay a $199 upfront lease fee.

As long as it has visibility to 99/101/103 and possibly 110/119 depending on your programing and locals.

Not sure, never used E* equipment in my house, only at a buddies. Didn't notice a difference.

np

11. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Unless your remote is like mine and the sticker is long gone! :lol:

12. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    The DirecTV receivers can't do RF and IR as the same time like your 722 can. Not a big deal if you don't have a Slingbox or equal that needs to be able to run your HR20/21/22/23 using IR.

You'll also not be able to do OTA unless you add a tuner and even then you'll still only be able to record 2 programs at once rather than the 3 or 4 with the 722 (3) or 722k (4). Again not a big deal if you don't do OTA.

The HR boxes cannot run an another SD TV independently of the main HD TV. If you are not running it that way you'll never know. If you are you'll need to DirecTV receivers to replace your 722.

I would also go somewhere and try out an HR20/21/22/23 before you commit. Some people have major issues with the speed of the DirecTV receivers. Some people don't mind the slowdown from the 722. I'm in the 'Damn these things are slow' camp myself. Try it out so you are not blindsided by the speed.

If you can wait - I'd hang on for the HR24 to be available. Basically the same as the HR20/21/22/23 functionally but early testers say it is much much faster than the old boxes - maybe even as fast as the 722. Who knows when they'll be available but I would wait if at all possible.

Good luck!

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you do happen to get an HR20-100, make sure to plug the RF antenna in, that model uses an external antenna. Some people like the HR20 because it tends to be faster, others like the HR22-23 because of the larger hard drive and color (black matches most electronics.)

They all essentially run the same software, so a HR20 can do everything a HR23 can do software wise.

14. RoughDobermann

RoughDobermann AllStar

Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks. I'm considering switching because I'm on my third 722 in four months. The last software "upgrade" that Dish pushed requires a reboot every morning, sometimes a power cord reboot. Completely unacceptable and I'm sick of waiting for the next "upgrade" to fix what is a known problem (according to Dish). Other than that (and that's a big "that" in my opinion), I have no issues with Dish. In fact, I've been a customer for 12 years.

The speed that you mention is a concern.

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yea, the HR's are slower then the Dish receivers, guess it all depends on how much time you use the menus/guides vs. just watching TV.

Guess it's also time then to mention some things the DirecTV boxes do that Dish doesn't.

Multi Room Viewing (MRV) - Network connect the HR and H receivers to your home network and you can view recordings on HR DVR's on other HR DVR's or non DVR HD receivers. Rumor to have a $3/month charge to have the feature enabled on your account, currently free during testing phase. See http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/equipment/multiroom

MediaShare - If you network your HR and H receivers you can view JPEG's and some video files and listen to MP3's from your computer. See https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/technology/mediashare

DirecTV2PC - View recorded programs from a network attached HR on your PC if it meets hardware/software requirements, the client is free. See https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/technology/directv2pc

TVApps - Access to DirecTV and customer generated applets if your HR or H receivers are network connected. See http://tvapps.directv.com/index.do

The Weather Channel "Locals on the 8's" - Tune to The Weather Channel and get your local weather forcast/conditions and not just the national forcast. If you're on TWC and a weather warning is issued for your zip code you get a popup and a warning tone about the weather warning.

16. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I get it. Makes you wonder if there any electronics that work these days!

DirecTV falls on its face with firmware updates too. The speed of my HR22 goes up and down depending on what they do.

I'd give it a look but I'd seriously wait for the HR24 if you can stand it.

There are some benifits as RAD posted above. MRV is pretty cool if you have multiple receivers as long as you live with the speed - MRV is even slower than the normal slow.

Things like MediaShare, DirecTV2PC and TVApps are something to look at but the masses don't use much. Maybe they are something you would use?

17. RoughDobermann

RoughDobermann AllStar

Jun 13, 2009
    I suppose I'm a pretty basic user. My 722 doesn't feed another TV and is not hooked up to the Internet. Same with my old 501.

18. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Sounds like you are about like most people. You'd probably be OK with an HR2x but I'd find a neighbor or someone to go check it out to see if you are ok with the speed.

They had them running 'ok' but still much slower than your 722. The last firmware update was a step backward but that's the way it seems to go.

If you look here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=173488

You'll see people going back to having problems even getting the remote to respond quick enough. You hit 511 and get nothing for a second or two then you end up at channel 5 and then 11 comes up and you change to that. If you don't throw the remote you then can usually successfully enter 511 and go to channel 511.

One of theories is that the receiver is too busy doing something else to pay attention to the remote but does eventually catch up. The strange thing is that hardware-wise the 722 and the HR2x boxes should be about the same speed.... Not even close!

I'd just hate to see you jump from one fire to another!

19. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The easiest way to avoid this is to just bring up the on screen guide. You can then type in the channel number and it will go to it's location in the guide and you hit OK to change to the channel. I hardly ever channel surf anymore anyway, I guide surf.

Once you change channels you can use the previous channel button to go back to where you are.

Also if you hit the up button on the remote it will bring up a screen where you can assign 9 of your favorite channels that you can then just highlight and switch to them quickly without having to type in the channel numbers.

20. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Even easier, press INFO and wait for the channel banner to come up, then enter the channel number.