1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Switching from Fios to DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sdpadres, Jul 18, 2013.

1. sdpadres

sdpadres Mentor

Sep 7, 2004
    I'm planning on switching to Directv in September. I plan to get a Genie HD DVR plus three clients. I have one question, before I do though. If I'm taping 4 shows at one time does that mean we can only watch tv on one TV or will I be able to still watch tv on all four sets? Also, are the HR44's being deployed in south Jersey?

2. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    To answer the first question, you do only have 5 tuners so if you are recording 4 you can only watch one live. This is where using a receiver instead of a client is good as it does not tie up a Genie tuner. The only downside to a receiver is you cant use trickplay on live TV. I do not know on the second question.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And keep in mind, the monthly fees are the same whether it's a receiver, DVR or client. The best time for a deal is when signing up, so get what you want now.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    actually you can watch any of the shows being recorded (since these are live as well) or watch another one live. check you the thread of HR44 locations on the HDDVR forums

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    You can alos wathc any previoulsy recorded show on any of the units as well. If there's never more than five things on at one time you might watch, the genie system is best IMHO since it gives you full control.

How many people are in your house? What system do you have now, and what are its abilities?

6. sdpadres

sdpadres Mentor

Sep 7, 2004
    So I might be better off getting a Genie DVR, one genie client, and two HD boxes. The HD boxes would go in my kids rooms. The genie DVR in the family and the client in my our bedroom. If I'm correct this would allow my wife and I to watch different shows in the family room and bedroom and still be able to record three shows at one time. I assume my kids will be able to watch the record shows in their bedrooms just without the genie functions. What functionality would they lose? Also, genie DVR and client would be free, but they want $99 per HD box. Any chance I can get them for free?

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would get a Genie, a client and HD receiver plus and HDDVR so your kids can record on the DDVR without taking tuners off the Genie

8. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I second this. It will save a lot of headaches and arguments.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    DO you let your kids watch tv on all tvs, or just their room. I might even isolate their MRV to their rooms if not.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You can watch on all four sets, but only one of them live. For many, not a problem, as they'll watch either the programs then being recorded, or something else off the List.

11. sdpadres

sdpadres Mentor

Sep 7, 2004
    My kids are older (18 and 17), so they watch lots of shows with my wife. Usually at night (before bed) we sometimes watch individually TVs. We currently have a FIOS DVR. If we are recording two shows we have 4 other TVs to watch. One is leaving for college college so that will elevate so of the concern.

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I still think that at least one Genie and one HDDVR is a must in your case

13. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    At this time, no. In the configuration you mentioned, it's $99 per HD receiver, $199 per HDDVR. Keep in mind that is an up front fee and the receivers are still leased. They are never yours. If having everything free is your only goal, then stick with the promo offer and get 1 Genie + 3 Genie minis. If customizing the equipment is more important, a little money buys a lot of happiness.

Who knows, by September your area might have access to the HR44 and the new C41W ;) Until then, details now are moot. All offers will change to some extent by September. Best to call 2 weeks prior to desired install date to ensure it all goes smoothly. Too many people call the night before then complain when a technician can't be scheduled first thing in the morning.

Good luck!

-=K=-

14. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    If I'm taping 4 shows at one time

Love how a lot of people still call recording or recorded video, taping...lol

15. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, I do it. Or I'll say I'm Tivo-ing it.

How old are you?

16. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    How old are you?

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Ah, well, you'd not have had 30 years of using any of those expressions!

I wonder how kids will know what clockwise means in a few years.

Pass me the Kleenex brand tissues, sonny!

:)

18. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I am 33 and still say taping. I also have a VCR hooked up and functioning, although mostly it's just a clock...

19. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    I'm probably older than all of you and for many years worked at a TV station starting back when things were shot and edited on 16mm film. Even though the station switched to tape in the early 1980's and by the time I retired all recording was digital, a lot of us from that era still call the process "filming".

20. Starrbuck

Starrbuck Legend

Jun 25, 2004
    DFW, TX
    People actually still watch programs live??? :rolling: