1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching from KaKu LNB5 on HR21 to SL3-SWM Slimline ???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Sidewayz, May 20, 2013.

1. Sidewayz

Sidewayz New Member

May 18, 2013
    Orange, Tx
    I have a HR21 Receiver and a KaKu LNB5 on a Slimline Dish with Directv service. I am pretty sure the LNB went out so I purchased a SL3-SWM Slimline triple LNB w/built in multiswitch and a 21 volt power inserter for SWM integrated LNB. I am only hooking up the one receiver. I have tried to get a understandable answer from Directv on hooking this up and the two women I have talked to keep giving different answers the longer we talk. I give up talking to them about it so I am seeking help from professional online help. You Guys!

My first question is will this LNB I purchased work with the (power inserter) Pi21 on the oval slimline dish I have along with the HR-21? Directv lady #1 (DL1) said it would not work with the slimline dish I have. (oval dish). She said I needed a different Dish. WHY and what dish would I need? That makes no sense.

Second question is Directv Lady #2 (DL2) said I dont need the Pi21 if I am just using the one receiver. From what I read on your forum I do need the Pi21. I also was told by DL1 that I would need a 8-way splitter with the system and hook the Pi21 red port to the red port on the 8-way splitter then the cable to the receiver. I was also told I need to hook the Pi21 at least 15 feet from dish. How do you hook something like this up when you may not be near enough a power supply? SO I dont believe them on anything they said.

What all do I need to use the new SL3-SWM LNB? Can I hook the Pi21 behind my receiver if so then what input do I hook the cable to from the LNB and what input from the pi21 to the receiver? I am figuring dish lnb to pwr input on pi21 and signal ird input to receiver. I am just using the one receiver so I do not need the 8 way splitter correct?

I just need to make sure what I have the SL3 SWM and Pi21 will work with the HR21 and the slimline dish. Next, what settings do I use for the receiver? 17: or 18:? Switch:SWM and Tuner: Dual?

Reason I am trying to hook the new SWM lnb up is because I set the dish up and had my inline tuner showing a good signal but when I plugged the cable into the receiver it had the 771 error code. I did use the grey BBC on the cable coming in before the input into the receiver. I had a good reading on the 119 channels but still had no signal error code on tv. I am going to double check the setup and make sure it is set to 4: slimline 5. switch:multiswitch and Tuner:single. If this does not fix my problem then I am going to hook up the new SWM setup. Please help with proper setup with the new SL3 SWM slimline to my HR21. What all do I need and how to hookup the pi21.

Thanks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure what your current problem is, but to go with the SL3 SWiM:

LNB -- > [RED connector] 21v PI ---> SAT #1 HR21.

3. Sidewayz

Sidewayz New Member

May 18, 2013
    Orange, Tx
    SO you think I can use the new LNB SL3 and hook it up behind the receiver and plug cable from LNB into the Red port (power to swm) and the signal to ird port to the receiver. I will need a small jumper cable to hook up the PI to the receiver right? I just wanted to make sure everything was compatible with what I had. I got conflicting answers from Directv. Can you verify what setting I will need with the new LNB?

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Correct;

Though placing the PI too close to the receiver may cause connection issues when networking multiple receivers with WH service. In your case with only one receiver it shouldn't really make a difference.

And the LNB setting should be for the "SL3S"

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My power inserter is right behind my HR24 and I have not had any problems with it for about a year now.
    I do not have Whole Home DVR service.

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, that's what i was referring to;

Due to the effects of injecting a high level DECA signal into the DC blocking capacitor on the IRD end of the PI, It's a known issue of this causing WH connection problems (specifically, random disconnects) when the PI is placed too close to a networked receiver.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I was thinking that the data came from the dish and went into the receiver thru the PI without a problem.
    When you requested data from that receiver from a remote receiver the data had a hard time making it thru the PI.
    Putting in a splitter and connecting the PI off the power passing leg and using the other leg of the splitter to go to the receiver solved this one way street for the data.

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No its when the DECA at the receiver needs to transmit its MoCA signal, its was found that the reactive characteristics of the PI's blocking capacitor can cause connection problems if placed to close.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This really is just an RF issue, if there isn't much loss/load between either the SWiM or a receiver with a DECA.
    It's not that 100% of the time, there's a problem, but more for if there is a problem, add some loss [longer coax or splitter] to the signal source.