1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching...I think

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by speedboat, Sep 23, 2010.

1. speedboat

speedboat AllStar

Sep 22, 2009
    Two years ago...DirectTV seemed to cost much more and for what appeared to be not as good hardware.

Things seemed to have changed... and we may switch.

The whole house DVR thing is very inviting and the programming seems to be a better fit, but I have a few questions.

1) My Dish 722 can record 3 HD streams at once, if I use the built in OTA antenna. If I can get my hands on a HR24, and add a AM21, can I record 4 HD streams at once?

2) Once recorded, I can then share these recordings with the other two HD receivers I plan to purchase? At the same time, I'm watching a recording? I should be trying yo get H24's for these also?

3) If I get a SD receiver for my den, I can share the recording with it also? Any particular SD receiver I should try to get?

4) I assume there is a coaxial output from these receivers I could run to my guest room, and perhaps share a receiver if I have a RF remote?

5) The $25 Internet Connect Fee is a service that is enabled? I'm not just paying someone $25 to connect a cable I could plug in myself?

6) My Dish setup uses the Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.2, 77), because trees to my south blocked the Western Arc (110/119/129). Maybe this should of been question one, am I out of luck. Is Direct's only option in the 99-119 area?

7) With Dish, I paid a one time $39 fee and my two HD receivers would accept an external USB HD and become a DVR. That's not an option with Direct is it?

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    No, you can record a max of two channels, DBS or OTA, it doesn't matter.

Yes you can, but a HD DVR can stream to only one other device at a time. Based on your #1 question you might want to get two HD DVR's.

No, SD receivers can't take part in the Whole Home DVR feature, only HD DVR and HD receivers along with the DirecTV2PC application.

You assume incorrectly, no DirecTV HD receiver has a coax/RF output. You coule get an external RF modulate, they're available for under $20, and an extra RF remote control and do that.

No, it's more then that. The Internet Connection Kit is a broadband DECA, power inserter, splitter and whatever additional coax cable needs to be run to where your internet router is located to bridge the connected home network to your ethernet network.

Unless your SD locals are on 119, or you want spanish language package then all you need is 99/101/103 for all the SD/HD channels.

Correct. The only option DirecTV has is to connect an eSATA drive to a receiver, that drive is married to that receiver and replaces the internal drive, no charge to do that. But if you got two HD DVR's then that's 1TB of drive space between the two and you can share the recordings without having to move drives around between boxes.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The HRs can record three streams if you consider On Demand as the third one.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    True, but saying it can record three streams is misleading to most people. It can only record two satellite or OTA streams at any one time. The two can be sat + sat, sat + ota, or ota + ota.

If you get your locals via satellite, there is little reason to get the AM21 tuner. It will give you access to sub-channels that are not carried by satellite, but otherwise you are better off recording locals off satellite than ota (uses less disk space).

5. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    FWIW, I just switched from DirecTV to Dish because they have about 30 HD nationals that DirecTV doesn't (AMC, TCM, BBCA, HLN, E!, G4, DIY, Cook, Hist Int'l, 4 HBOs to name a few). I'm much happier with Dish so far. Sure, the HR2x has some nice features I miss (quick tune, easy access to CC), but I gain a multiroom DVR without having to pay mirror or MRV fees, and PIP functions. And I love the 3 hr / 7 channel guide view.

If you do make the switch, PM me if you want some of my old stuff cheap (RF modulator, diplexers, RF remotes, etc.). You'll need all that if you share a DirecTV box over coax.

6. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    For # 3 what you do is get an SD-DVR. If you are getting MRV and getting the DVR from them you will have to get an R22 DVR. The good about that model is that it is HD capable, all you do is go in menu and change from "Hide HD Channels" to "Show All Channels". And then you will have an HDDVR with MRV for price of SD DVR.

#5 they have to install a broadband deca, plug an ethernet line into your router , and run a coax from there to tie into your swm system somewhere. the material alone would cost you that.

7. speedboat

speedboat AllStar

Sep 22, 2009
    THANKS EVERYONE for the answers. I'm glad I asked. Tougher choice now. Duplicating my Dish setup will have a little higher startup cost than I initially expected.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm not sure where you get that idea. If you order an SD-DVR and you have MRV, you'll get an R16, which is not MRV capable. It would be a rare exception to get an R22.

9. GreenScrew

GreenScrew Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    With a single AM21 I can record two OTA channels simultaneously? Is this true?

I assumed that was not the case but if so it makes the AM21 more compelling for me to ensure programs aren't affected by the occasional storm. Coming from Dish I've been really happy but Direct sure does make it difficult to learn and understand their technologies. Thank God for dbstalk!

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes, you can record two OTA at once. You can record any TWO channels at once, never more than TWO. Source doesnt matter.

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Glad things worked out .. If programming that you want to watch isn't available on DIRECTV, then it's understandable. The channels that I was missing (mostly ESPNU) did show up in HD recently. Sounds like we're both happy now which is excellent.

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Correct and as carl pointed out earlier ... If you have OTA, then you can record up to one of these situations

Sat + Sat

Sat + OTA

OTA + OTA

The other options are of course one of either and neither if you are not recording anything at that particular time. The big difference is that you cannot record 3 streams at the same time.

In any case, you can watch a recording while two other things are recording.