1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching Main Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kevinturcotte, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    The main receiver on my account in my HR10, and it finally died earlier today. When I call to get it taken off, and have one of my HR20s put in as the main receiver, I take it they'll have to rebuild my account, correct? Will I still be able to keep DVR service for free (I have Premium), as well as ALL the HD channels for $10?

2. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    Basically what will happen is when the disconnect the primary receiver, all the services will be turned off. New primary receiver will be chosen, and then they will have to go in and reinstate your services.

It -should- not change any of your programming, as all they are doing is reinstating your previous services.

3. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    When the primary receiver is changed by D*, it's a simple as designating a new primary when disconnecting the old one, then reinstating the services to the new primary. The CSR should be able to do it with no changes to your services-including keeping the free DVR service with Premier.

4. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I've always wondered, and this has probably been addressed before, but does it matter which is your primary ? I've done so many upgrades and moving around receivers that my primary is now my oldest and least watched receiver.... Doesn't seem to affect anything, though.

5. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    No it doesn't matter what is called "primary", "bedroom", or whatever, you can make up your own location for the IRD/STB online. You get the same service and channels as to your subscription. Same performance.

6. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Then, what is the point of designating any receiver as the primary ?

7. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    One of them HAS to be the main receiver. Doesn't matter which one, unless it's your main receiver that's dead, like in my case.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I had my primary receiver disconnected two months ago and had no change in services.

9. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I actually called earlier today and deactivated one of my H20's (primary receiver) and made one of my HR20's my new primary receiver.

I did not lose my grandfather status with my Premier package and my DoD still works.

10. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    The "primary" receiver on the account holds all the services, while the others are mirrored. It does not matter which one is designated. usually it is just the first one the technician activated.

11. michaelyork29

michaelyork29 Godfather

Jun 22, 2007
    And this doesn't do anything to your contract...right?

I just had it done a couple days ago...and hoping I was grandfathered for the DVR fee as well...

12. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    No, it will not do anything to the commitment. Ok..it SHOULD not do anything to the commitment. That is a better statement :D

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I think the function of changing the primary (especially deactivating the current primary and designating another) is kind of a "tear down/rebuild" action of the account on the CSRs part. It shouldn't change anything, but it is a very good idea to note what you have before and make sure that is what you have afterwards - programming packages, DVRs/locals functioning, grandfathered features still grandfathered, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.