1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Switching Receiver to Save $$$?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by sregener, Feb 21, 2014.

1. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    I have a Hopper. Love it. Unfortunately, it looks like my income is going to take a serious hit and I'm looking for places to save some green. That DVR fee looks ripe for the chopping. I'd prefer to keep HD. Can anyone advise me as to what my options might be, and what my new bill would look like with AT120?

2. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    Get a 211 and add an external hard drive.

3. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    What is your complete set up and what is your programming package?

4. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Currently AT250, single 1st-gen Hopper. 1 TV. I don't think just cutting to AT120 is going to save enough. Gotta keep ESPN/ESPN2, or there's no point in having pay TV at all for me.

5. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    I'm looking at options myself and found that replacing my 722k with a 211 will save $7 a month. I'm also looking at reducing my programming package...(and as a last resort discontinuing my service for 3 months to requalify as a new subscriber so I could get a good deal for a year with a 2 yr committment)

6. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    The 211 will save the $12/Mo. DVR fee and AT120 should save $20 as long as you aren't under any promotions. You will lose two of the three tuners the Hopper has and the rest of the Hopper toys. And any external Hard Drive recordings you now have won't work with the 211.

7. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    AT120 has ESPN. If cutting from Top 250 to Top120, and getting a VIP211 isn't enough of a savings, time to think about OTA and online only. (you could go to even a lower package but there would be no ESPN)
    And dropping to AT120 will save $25 not $20.

8. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Are you sure that EHD recordings would not work on the 211? My understanding of EHD's is that as long as the 211 is on the same account that the Hopper was on they will still be accessible. There is nothing different about program recordings that originated on a Hopper once they have been moved to an EHD. They key is to have the same account (i.e. not dropping service and trying to get a new subscriber deal).

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I'm pretty sure that the various models of DVRs can use the same, but the 211 is in it's own world

10. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    211's can only see recordings on an EHD that came from a 211. All other receivers are interchangeable.

11. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    At least for the short run, I'll drop to AT120. I may look into suspending service for the months when I typically don't watch much television. I have a DTVPal DVR and a perfectly fine antenna for the locals.

12. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]sregener,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I can understand saving money and needing to have a bill that is easy to manage, to check all available options for you would you please PM me with the phone number on the account?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

13. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    I switched receivers today and saved $70/month. I went from the Hopper to the DTVPal DVR.

Gonna miss ESPN, that's for sure.