1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Switching to Dish from DirecTV

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Rtm, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    What would I be required to pay upfront if I need (2 Hoppers) and (5 Joeys) and would I require more than one satellite dish?

2. am7crew

am7crew Legend

Jun 5, 2009
    you should get 1 Hopper and 2 Joey free the rest I think youll need to pay for. The additional Hopper is 199.00 the other Joey's not sure on the price. I would guess you are looking at about 400.00 upfront. All can run off one dish.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One Hopper, three Joeys is the standard "free" four room system.
    The second hopper is $199, the fourth Joey is $99 and that is the end ... six units maximum.

4. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    Thank you but may I ask why 6 is the max amount of units allowed? I currently have 7 TVs on Directv encompassing 9 tuners.

5. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Because that's the lease limit for number of boxes.

6. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I believe the limit for 2 hoppers is 6 joeys. 6 boxes (hoppers or joeys) is the max leaseable. Additional Joeys will need to be purchased, but DISH will activate them and of course charge the applicable lease fee - $7 each. There have been several reports of people getting more than 6 boxes, but 6 is the lease limit.

7. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    If you aren't getting International programming, you should be OK with one dish.