1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching to DISH HD, several questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by aidendey, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aidendey

aidendey Cool Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Hello All, Dish hdwe being installed next Wed. One room will have #811 receiver, the other room the #311. I could use your comments on the following:. 1) Can you get LBX PPV movies in both HD and "regular definition"? All the reps I talked to ,and the literature I read, agreed you can get LBX "HD Net Movies", but nobody was sure about LBX availability on non-HD service. 2) How does the sound on the HD Net PPV movies compare to DVD's you rent @ Blockbuster? 3) How impressed are you with the quality of the picture in HD? 4) I am leasing, with no time commitment on retaining programming. Is there anything I should look out for? I read all the fine print, but it always helps to confer with folks who have previously walked the path. Any other suggestions, and responses to the above questions would be greatly appreciated. THX, Aiden

2. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    I have an older 6000 receiver along with the OTA decoder. HDNET is letterbox and obviously HDNET does not even show up on the guide for non HD receivers. The quality of the HD picture is dependent on the source material. It is much better than the non HD channels. That being said, the quality between various HD channels does vary as mentioned above depending on whether the source is upconverted or a real HD source. With the recent addition of TNT, there is more material to choose from. I enjoyed having the NBA playoffs in HD and in fact, the camera work and picture seemed to be better on ESPN and TNT than what I was receiving from the Finals that are OTA on ABC this week. The sound is good Dolby Digital sound. Hard to compare it to CDs as most CDs are straight music and most of the Satellite HD material is movies or other broadcasts. PBS concerts are very good but IMHO, I wouldn't say they are "CD Quality". How you perceive the picture quality issue will also vary depending on what you are using to view your HD. I have a CRT front projector and am quite pleased with the HD picture on a large screen.

..Doyle

3. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Answers:

1) There is in fact a separate high definition 16:9 pay per view channel, but for the most part, it is running different content from the main pay per view channels (and its just one channel out of dozens). Some of the regular (standard definition) pay per view channels run in letterbox mode, but it's still a 4:3 signal. What this means is that you can zoom it to make it use more of the screen on a 16:9 TV, but this doesn't increase the resolution.

2) HD-Net is not pay per view; it's part of the HD Package. The sound is Dolby Digital 5.1, so it's reasonably good, but it may not be quite as good as a DVD; don't know the bit rate comparison offhand for the audio. Still, it's probably comparable.

3) The picture on true HD content is amazingly good. However, much of the content being broadcast on the HD channels is not true HD, so the quality varies greatly depending on the content. Example: Bikini Destinations on HD-Net is amazing, while ESPN-HD seems to have only limited HD broadcasting equipment, so much of their material is just high bitrate standard definition.

4) Whatever works for you. In some cases, you can get free equipment (rather than leasing it) with free installation, but you usually have to commit to certain programming for some period of time. If you'd rather not commit, that's a choice you're making.

4. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    As long as you use the digital output to a reciever that decodes Dolby Digital that sound it very good. However I do say that nothing compares when I play a disc that is DTS encoded. Just sounds better, my 2 cents.

Jason

5. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    ESPN-HD has made a HUGE leap forward this week with the new Digital facility being used for SportsCenter. I"m even seeing some hi def feeds being used for highlights (NESN, etc.). Keep it up guys.... THIS is what we expected when we were begging for it. I can't wait to see what they do with football in the fall....

6. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Yes, ESPN-HD is starting to look like a worthy HD channel finally! I have been very impressed with the PQ of sportscenter.

7. aidendey

aidendey Cool Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Thanks to all who responded to my questions. Aiden

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.