1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switching to new DVR question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by eburr, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eburr

eburr Cool Member

Oct 18, 2007
    The hard drive on my HR10-250 gave out the other day, so I called D* to see what my options were. They offered to swap out the Tivo DVR, but I asked if I could upgrade to one of the new HD DVRs, and the rep said that they could - $19.95, including dish and installation. Since then, I have replaced the HD on the HR10-250, so it is functioning again. I would like to use both the old and new HD DVRs.

I'm wondering if D* would give me a hard time about getting a replacement for a failed unit, and then activating the new unit while keeping the old 'broken' one active. Does anyone have an opinion about whether I should worry about them questioning whether the old unit was ever broken? If it matters, I currently have two SD Directivos and the HR10-250 - I was going to replace one of the SD machines with the old HD one.

Thanks

2. bigshowjoe

bigshowjoe Cool Member

Feb 22, 2007
    I would say take the new HR20 for $19.95. I dont have a dvr at all and they wont budge on the $299 price tag for me to get one.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk

I would check with them but if the HD TiVo is a owned unit than it should not be a problem to keep it activated and use both.

A lot of members here have been able to do it without a problem.

4. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    If your account is in good standing, you could probably call and tell them what's up and they'd let yuou keep it. You do own the 10-250, right?
    It sounds like they would have upgraded you either way.
    They really haven't been asking for the HR10-250's back anyway, they have no use for them. The installer doesn't (and won't) take it.
    Just get the employee ID number and keep notes. They may stiull send you a return shipping labeled box.

At the end of the day, all you can do is call is see what you can work out.

Good luck.

5. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    As long as they didn't ask for the HR10 to be returned as a condition for getting the HR20, I wouldn't worry about it and it should be no problem to call back and have it reactivated. If they ask, just say you spent your own money to replace the drive on a unit you owned.

6. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    and others report getting the return box from FedEx to send the HR10 back after getting an HR20/21. If they send you the kit and you ignore it, they will bill you for it.

7. eburr

eburr Cool Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I believe that I own the HR10-250, but after reading some posts here, it looks like D* might disagree. The support person I talked to didn't say anything about returning it.

8. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    I could always be wrong, but I bet that they could care less what you do with the Hr10-250 and they will not deactivate it until you tell them to.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I bet you're right, and there are plenty of stories here to back you up.

10. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    But if you own the receiver, they have no right to bill you for it, so if they send you a recovery kit, call them up and inform them that you own the receiver and won't be sending it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.