1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swithcing from HR24 to HR34 and Hauppauge Colossus

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by whymeintrouble, Jun 5, 2012.

1. whymeintrouble

whymeintrouble New Member

Apr 22, 2006
    hi everyone! I currently have a HR24 and use it with my hauppauge colossus to record to my HTPC. it has worked pretty much flawlessly. Now I have gotten a "deal" on the HR34 and was looking at the tech specs of it and see I will need to convert from Digi Coax to Optical, and have found a converter to do that. other thing is, can I plug in both component/digi coax and HDMI and expect both to play through. I have no problem with this currently and want to make sure that before I get it installed there won't be problems. Otherwise I will need to get a second HR24 instead of the HR34. please let me know if there are any other issues you may think I could run into.

thank you!

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    It should work fine on anything that isn't copy protected. However, some channels have started implementing copy protection, I know HBO, Cinemax, and I think Starz have now turned it on. That means if you try watching/recording something from those channels and have your TV turned off you most likely will get an error screen on the colossus telling you to hook up component or something like that. This is because your TV is not doing a poper HDCP handshake over HDMI while the TV is turned off, so the DirecTV receiver turns off all outputs because it thinks you have a non-HDCP compliant device hooked up to the HDMI port.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Yes, it will work fine. I currently have a Happpauge HDPVR, the external version of the Colossus, hooked up to an HR34. I'm using HDMI for TV and Component/Coax Optical for the HDPVR and get audio out of both.

And yes, for some content you'll either have to disconnect your HDMI connection to play or turn on your TV for the duration.

4. whymeintrouble

whymeintrouble New Member

Apr 22, 2006

I previously had the HDPVR before the Colossus. It was quite buggy while I was using it and subject to overheating. not sure if you've had that problem or not, but if you are considering a Colossus, I would totally recommend it!

Thanks to both of you for your info!, I do know about the HDCP issue, I've run into it before and it isn't a big deal...yet..lol

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I haven't had any overheating issues. My only issues have been finding software that will convert the m2ts recordings to m4v and maintain the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

I can't use the Colossus, I use a Mac. :)