1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM 16 Install Prob and Troubleshoot help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mjlepak, Apr 1, 2011.

1. mjlepak

mjlepak AllStar

Dec 19, 2006
    Had D come to the house to do a swm 8 to 16 upgrade. Should have been a no brainer. They arrived at 4pm and left at 8:30 without the system working. They would get one TV working and then it would go out when they tried another. etc. I went to the attic and explained to them that they had al 10 tuners hooked up on one side of the SWM16 and it wouldn't work. They said no this is the way they were told to hood it up. Basically they jumped two splitters from the SWM1 port to power 10 tuners. Said they would be back tomorrow morning.

I printed out the installation diagrams. They showed up the next morning with a "supervisor" and I showed them the diagrams and they were all like thats not what we were told but we will try it. I tried to explain that this was basically 2 SWM8's and they could not have more than 8 tuners per side. Viola, everything was working 30 minutes later.

However, after they left I am having issues with the the 3 tuners legs off the SWM2 port. They are freezing and loosing signal occasionally. 771 and 771a are the error messages. The other 7 tuners off the swm1 port are working great. Everything appears to be terminated properly. Where should I begin to troubleshoot as I am not confident in calling them back out.

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008

You could try power everything down then Swap the SWIM 1 & SWIM 2 port leaving your wiring in place on each swim 8 block.

See if the trouble changes , if it stays on SWIM 2 then I would suspect the SWIM16 (itself) , If it changes to SWIM 1 -the you need to look at possible Swim8 or wiring issue , or receiver issue (tuner).

In any event I suggest you call them back as they will have the needed equipment if needed to change out and because your a repeat call you will get greater service attention.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. Swapping the SWM1 and SWM2 outputs is the best start. If the issue moves to SWM1, then I would concentrate on the wiring and connections from the SWM16 to the splitter that the 3 receivers are connected, especially if the issue is with all three receivers on that one leg.

- Merg

4. mjlepak

mjlepak AllStar

Dec 19, 2006
    Thanks, I will do that this evening.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Let us know what happens.

- Merg