1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM 16 Limitation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dminches, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Am I correct in saying that the 16 tuner limitation does not include tuners hooked up to legacy ports? I assume this is the case given the images I have seen of cascaded SWM 16s.

Secondly, how useful are the 8 way splitters since most people have DVRs and not receivers? I guess once you have a couple receivers the 8 ways have value.

2. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    you can hook recievers to the legacy ports without affecting the SWM tuner limits.

the 8 ways are useful in many situations... PI located in a different location than receivers, BB DECA hook ups, wires to additional rooms where you can move recievers to if you wish...

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Cascade away. I am sure there is a limit at some point, but the cascaded numbers don't figure into that 16 each one provides.

Not sure about your 8 way question in regards to DVRs as opposed to regular receivers, since each only need 1 line.

4. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Based on what you said, can you confirm what type of splitter I really need?

I have a SWM 8 and an 8 way splitter. My equipment is 3 HD DVRs and 1 HD receiver. Do I only need a 4 way splitter right now because I have 4 boxes? Do they make a 6 way or would the 8 way be what I need if I add 1 more HD receiver to have a total of 8 tuners over 5 receivers?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe the question about the 8-way splitters has to do with the losses they have.
    Those that seem to be new to using splitters, seem to think using an 8-way is a good idea since it gives a place for expansion. I don't.
    I much rather use a splitter that has as few outputs as I need and then add a 2-way downstream or upstream, if I need another port.
    All unused ports should be terminated. This means the SWiM signal is being dissipated into a resistor and in affect not being used. Why care?
    Using a larger splitter than you need mean the splitter has more loss than you need. Then you "burn" the signals going to the unused ports into the resistors, which is simply more "wasted power".

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The SWM8 actually has two outputs, so there is a 2-way splitter inside, with Port #1 being the power passing leg to power the SWM8.
    They don't make 6-ways, as splitters are based off splitting in half. This means a 2-way, with 2-ways on each output is a 4-way and two of these off another 2-way is an 8-way.
    If you're not using the DECA/MRV, you could get the highest level out of the SWM8 by using a 2-way off each of the two SWM8 outputs. This would give you four outputs and would feed all your receivers.
    Next option would be to use one 4-way off the SWM #1.
    And when you add a 5th tuner, you could connect it to the SWM #2.

7. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Perfect....thanks for the detail! :D

8. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I read your perspective on this elsewhere and I agree. So, I purchased a couple 4 ways to replace my 8 ways.

In doing this, should I be powering down the whole system including the SWM16 and the DVRs? I don't want to fry anything in the process.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    When working on the SWiM output(s) I'm "only careful" when working with the PI feed/coax leg. I'll swapped anything around on the non DC legs without powering anything down.
    "If in doubt" pull the power. :lol:

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You can most certainly obtain conventional F-connectored splitters with odd multiples of ports. The only requirement is that it impedance matches. The fact that DIRECTV has chosen to offer four and eight port splitters is more likely policy (economics?) decision.

11. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Just so I understand, in my setup I am powering the SWM16 via the DC PWR port, not the SWM1 or SWM2 ports. So, if my splitters feed off of non-power passing ports you think I should be ok swapping them out without powering down?

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Anybody can screw up, "but" I'd swap it out live if I was connected the way you are. :eek2: :lol:

13. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Can I get a recommendation for 2 2-way splitters and 1 4-way splitter? Can I buy something from Lowes?

14. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
  15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
  16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Huh? :confused:

If they are "F" connector type splitters then they are always going to be 75 ohm impedance type for RF coaxial video applications regardless.

But the "actual requirements" for a splitter used on a DirecTV SWM system are if they have a power passing port to accommodate any PIs (if needed). And that they be of the "Green Label" variety for MRV optimization if used.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    VOS made a false statement about splitters and I pointed it out. What's so difficult about that?

Splitters can be designed to split an odd number of ways. That DIRECTV chooses to offer only 2, 4, and 8 output configurations doesn't alter the physics of splitters. Amazon.com offers 3,5 and 6 port configurations in addition to the powers of two.

Splitters are NOT based on halving as he asserts (most likely not even the DIRECTV models). The are based on simple division by the number of ports.

MoCA has managed just fine for some time using appropriate splitters without the DIRECTV green label. It is certainly reassuring to know that if you do acquire a splitter with the DIRECTV green label on it, it should work with DECA.

18. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    The real question is.... WHO NEEDS MORE THAN 16 TUNERS!!!!

:D

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Anyone that is using a SWiM-32. :lol:

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Nothing, my confusion was in reference to your earlier statement about "as long as the impedance matches" where you appeared to imply that F connector type splitters may have various impedances.

However on re-reading I see this may not have been your intent at the time therefore my apologies for the initial confusion.

As to VOS' claim being an actual untruth, well ... unless he meant to say that DirecTV specifically bases their splitters on power divisions by a factor of two, then I would agree with you. But I will let the good Doctor defend himself on this :D

You lost me here;

Did you perhaps mean to say that MoCA has survived just fine without using splitters specifically optimized for MoCA frequencies around 1.1 GHz as the DirecTV's green label splitters are for their version of MoCA at 475-625 MHz?