1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM 16 Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by 69hokie, May 21, 2010.

1. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    I participated in the DECA tests and decided to have the whole home install to get away from having two SWM8's and be able to have one DECA cloud and all my receivers on it and keep the streaming traffic off my home network. Scheduled the install for today. Installer supervisor called and indicated he could not do the install today, but had drawn the SWM 16 and necessary DECA's and since this was "their first" whole home DVR service install, he wanted to come out with the tech tomorrow and help since he had been trained and the tech had not. I told him I had helped in testing and would be glad to share whatever I had picked up with him. I described my system and he said he would bring the "two 8-splitters also. I said we probably would not need them I did not have home runs from all receivers to the location of the SWM's, but I used a 4-splitter and a couple 2-splitters and all had worked well during the testing. He indicated he had been told by his trainer that the SWM16 "needed to use the two 8-splitters" for "power concerns with the SWM16 not having enough power to supply all the DECA's." I said "huh??", since I was aware that the DECA's got their power from the receivers, at least for my models.... and then he said they would come anyway and we would all try to figure out a config that would work. So my question is, is there any issue about the SWM16 replacing two SWM8's and requiring home runs to the SWM16 and use of two 8-way splitters for some kind of power concern?? I had several 2-splitters in my setup during testing and did not have any problems with the DECA clound at all with the SWM8 and had not heard of any issue like that with the SWM16 until now. The supervisor also did not know how to set up the home network connection using DECA which became obvious when I asked him if he either had the network adaptor kit or a power supply to use with a DECA for the network connection and he said "huh, what power supply??". On a positive note he seems ready to try since he said "well we will see what works". OBTW, my setup as shown by my signature is no longer accurate since I have removed all test DECA's and moved my HR24-500 to the "non-DECA" SWM8 and put all receivers back connected to my network temporarily in anticipation of the upcoming installation process.

2. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    I have a 2 way splitter connected to each of my SWiM outputs on my SWiM-16. I have 3 lines going from outside the house to 3 different rooms. In one room I don't need a splitter. In the living room, there is a 2 way splitter for the two receivers there. In the third room is the PI, a 4 way splitter, 3 receivers and the broadband DECA and its PI. Everything works without any problems. No 8-way splitters here.

3. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    I think the only issue with the SWM16, is that you can't connect more that 8 tuners to either port. The number of splitters and combination of number of ports shouldn't matter. You just need to terminate unused splitter ports with 75 ohm resistor caps. I think the best practice is to used the smallest splitters you can to minimize voltage drop.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in here.

4. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    No, there's absolutely no problem doing it the way you want. Just don't have it split over 1/8 (i.e. 2-way to 2-way to 2-way is ok, 2-way to 4-way is ok, etc.), from each of SWM1/PWR and SWM2. That's the way I do it.

He'll have to replace all your splitters with green label ones (not that it will make any difference).

5. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Thanks...you guys are confirming what I believed to be the case. Tomorrow should be interesting if not entertaining:D

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Mine was installed yesterday with 2 - 4 way splitters. Except for the broadband connection, other coaxes went to DVRs. You could split any coax with a 2-way if necessary.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    In theory I agree with you 100%. In practice, when I was using SWiM-8's prior to the installation of my SWiM-16, I switched from an 8-way with 4 resistor caps to a 4-way splitter on one of my SWiM-8's connected to four HR's and was very surprised to find the signal strength readings were basically the same. Runs from the splitter to the HR's were about 30'-40' each. That makes me wonder if sat signal insertion loss doesn't increase when physical devices aren't connected, unlike with cable or OTA. :scratchin

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    And how did you measure the signal levels?
    The receivers display bit-error rate as a percentage, which is more the quality of the signal, then an RF level in dBm, or the C/N ratio.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    There are lots of misunderstandings and falsehoods about how SWM works, and now how DECA works, among techs. And a lot of the blame goes to the trainers, who themselves often are fuzzy on the facts and are prone to having a few mis-spoken words being taken as hard facts by the techs and/or management.

Don't waste your time being surprised or annoyed by this. You know what works, and you probably know why/how better than the tech, so hopefully you can teach him something and just maybe, he'll pass the experience along to others.

10. Freddysanjose

Freddysanjose New Member

May 21, 2010
    I just had my install yesterday with a swm16. I have 6 DVrs with a total of 12 tuners. Installer stumbled on 2 items:

1) First tried to hook up the 6 dvrs on one 8 way splitter- didn't work
    2) when we added the 2nd 8 way splitter- the dvrs could only see the dvrs on their own splitter because they had stop band filters on each of the cables from the swm16 to the splitters. Once we removed them, all worked perfectly.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    On thing that has changed with the SWM16 is that the PI that comes with it is no longer a pass-thru PI, meaning that the PI only has the red output leg. This would require a home run just for power unless, like in my case, you have the "old" style PI that has a pass-thru and you can use that instead. I think this is causing confusion as well in regards to how many lines are required.

12. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    BER. But if RF level drops, so does the BER %. I did not observe any change in BER when switching splitters, so if the RF level dropped at all in my set-up, it was nothing to be concerned about. Where I had 95's before, I still have 95's.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Not exactly". You start with a good BER and then drop the RF level 3-4 dB, while keeping the CNR the same. The BER will be the same, until the CNR starts getting bad.

14. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    You can still locate the power supply 'anywhere'... you just put it on the power-passing leg of a splitter at a receiver location. It's messier than the Power Inserter, but still works.