1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swm-16 termination cap?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by alex36, Aug 31, 2011.

1. alex36

alex36 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    I had a tech come out today and he rewired the dish and my swm coming into my apartment. He has one wire from the swm-16 going to my sisters apartment, and the other swm output going into my apartment. That wire is going into the 8 way splitter. The power inverter is going into 1 of the ports on the splitter. Now my question is that I read that the open ports on the swm-16 should be terminated, but the tech left the middle port for power open. Do I leave it open or put a cap on it? Dont know if i made my question clear.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think it's ok to leave the PWR port unterminated. I'm sure veryoldschool will pop in to clarify... He is the resident expert.

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    All unused ports on a swm system should have the 75ohm terminator installed. They only real exception to this would the be dedicated power port ont he SWM16 itself.

4. alex36

alex36 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Ok thanks, guess Ill just leave it , maybe put plastic cap to keep water out.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Both of you are correct.
    ALL "RF" ports should be terminated, but on the SWiM-16 the middle "connector" is marked PWR and doesn't have RF, so a "dust cap" will suffice.