1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

SWM-16s on UPS - good idea?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by slice1900, Feb 27, 2013.

1. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Is there any reason why I should put a SWM-16 on a UPS when the receivers are only surge protected? The location I'm installing a pair of SWM-16s has a 750va UPS that currently has very little capacity used by networking equipment. I will either plug them both into the battery backed outlets or into the non-battery surge protected outlets on the UPS. Though power outages are rare at this location, I don't want to have the SWM-16s draining the battery during outages if there is nothing to be gained by doing so. I'm curious as to the opinion of the experts on this.

I can think of a couple potential reasons why putting the SWM-16s on a UPS might be a good idea. If they are very sensitive to minor power fluctuations, perhaps more sensitive than the receivers, then the more stable power output of the online UPS battery might be better than the surge protected outlets. The other reason is if it helps avoid problems when power returns and everything tries to power up at once. I've read a few things that suggest power outages can throw SWM systems into a bit of disarray, and the recommendation for trouble after a power outage is to power everything down, then power up first the SWM switches (or LNB, if it is a SWM LNB) and then power up the receivers one by one. If I understand correctly, this is because there is a potential for some conflict when all the receivers are trying to request SWM channel assignments at the same time.

Is this true? If so, would having the SWM remain powered up (assuming the outage is not so long the battery runs out) improve the situation? Make it worse? Make no difference?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    In the past 5+ years, I've never put a SWiM on a UPS.
    I've had power outages many times.

If "things" aren't working correctly, "then" the whole system power cycle is a good idea, but I can't remember ever needing to do it.

3. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    I have the the SWiM's, CCK, nomad, and every DirecTV DVR on a UPS. Have had many situations over the years where there was a quick power glitch and everything just kept rolling along. Not required, but it's my standard with mostly APC BE-750G units. Also have all the network gear, and computer gear on the same infrastructure.

For long power outages, I always power up the SWiMs first, then the CCK, then the receivers and nomad.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    My SWM16 is connected to a UPS, just like my DVRs. That way, even during a power failure, the DVRs can continue to receive and record satellite signals.

5. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I have my DVR's on UPS's. My SWiM does not have a separate power source does it?
    I thought it was powered by the one dvr?

6. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    There's a Power Inserter on your SWM.

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes it has a separate power source .... the SWM Power Inserter.

8. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    No point in having anything on a UPS if the SWM isn't.

9. Mar 1, 2013 #9 of 11
    carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    My SWM, and all my DVRs are on (multiple) UPS.

10. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    My SWM and DVRs are on ups. I don't think I'd do one without the other.

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Thank for all for the replies! It sounds like there is no benefit to having my SWM-16s on a UPS since my receivers aren't (and can't be, there are 22 in various different locations so it wouldn't be practical) so I'll stick with a surge protected outlet for them.