1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM 3 LNB for Slimline Dish, WNC or Eage Aspen?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Nov 9, 2010 #1 of 14
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Found an Amazon Marketplace seller that has the SWM 3 LNB for the Slimline, and they can ship either brand, but does it matter much, or at all? Just curious.

2. Nov 9, 2010 #2 of 14
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Eagle Aspen. The WNC has hair thin plastic caps that will probably be broken when it arrives, or if not they will split when you breathe on them opening the box.

3. Nov 9, 2010 #3 of 14
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I've only had WNC thus far, and never had one crack, but I know that plastic is thin. I'm mainly concerned about the reliability/electronics, etc. :)

4. Nov 9, 2010 #4 of 14
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    The electronics aren't reliable when they get wet ;)

I have an eagle aspen on mine and it works great. I don't think any one is less reliable than the other. WNC had some electronics issues in the past but those are probably long gone by now.

5. Nov 9, 2010 #5 of 14
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yes, I know that.;)
    There was a time, oh a few years ago or so, that it was proven that the WNC got slightly higher numbers on signal strength than the other common brand at the time, can't remember if it was Eagle Aspen, so maybe that that stuck in my head. There was a lengthy thread on it, if my memory serves me right. :)

6. tech24218

tech24218 AllStar

Aug 12, 2009
    I second the aspen eagle vote. personally i find their equipment to be more reliable.

7. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I think my being partial to WNC, is from a long time ago when there were quite a few problems with the CalAmp lnb's, and WNC was considered "better". I guess that has always stuck in my head. Sounds like Eagle Aspen is pretty equal to WNC, as no one has said otherwise.

8. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    As far as electronics, physical construction, or both? Just curious.
    I do agree about the lens cap, though I've never had one crack.

9. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    I have replaced two 5 LNB feeds with 3 LNB feeds with no change in indicated signal.

With or without 119, I set elevation and tilt to the numbers given by entering the zip code, then adjust azimuth. The majority of times once I have done a rough peak with azimuth, I can proceed to fine adjustments without need to adjust tilt.

The only possible problem with changing feeds, assuming the dish is locked down, is if you decide to chin yourself on the support arm. Distort that and you have a real problem!

10. tech24218

tech24218 AllStar

Aug 12, 2009
    Physical construction. They just seem to be built with better parts. If I go to an upgrade with a wnc kaku lnb I usually toss it, but aspen eagles lnbs no matter how old as usually pretty solid still.

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    That's what I'm talking 'bout!

12. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Well, I haven't had one crack yet, like I said. I just ordered two(gotta have a spare on hand) WNC SL3S LNBs. If they disappoint, I'll go with Eagle Aspen next time. I appreciate the feedback.

13. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Haha its like you know the WNC will fail. :lol:

14. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    It's not that at all. If I had ordered Eagle Aspen, I still would have ordered two. Never hurts to have a spare sitting in the garage. It starts freaking out on saturday afternoon, it's a 10 minute fix. I end up never using it for whatever reason, I can get my money back. I see WNC on dishes all the time. The one on my dish has been there for over 3 years, with no problem. I agree they have a thin lens cap. If it shows up not cracked, it probably won't crack, unless you drop it on the ground. My original question was regarding the electronics, not so much the physical construction. It's obvious Eagle Aspen makes a stronger lens cap, but I'm not overly concerned about that.