1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM 3 LNB Split?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by aganno, Apr 14, 2011.

1. aganno

aganno New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Directv just installed a SWM 3 Dish/LNB, which goes to 8 Way Wide Band Splitter and all is working. My question is if I go over 8 tuners can that signal be split? I asked the installer and he said yes with an additional SWM 8. Is this correct, because the dish has its own multiswitch built in.

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    No, you will need a legacy LNB and a SWM16 to exceed the 8 tuner limit.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Or a legacy LNB with the four outputs split going to two SWM-8's.

However, matt's suggestion is better as the SWM-16 would be much easier to setup and can bridge a DECA network as well.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yes, there are many possible combinations but the take home point is that there is no way you are going to get more than 8 tuners* out of a SWM LNB.

*9 tuners if you want to be technical about it, which I'm sure you do. :D

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    ??9 tuners?? only 8...

6. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Correct, if you don't use the 3 legacy ports on a swm8....

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    It's a dedicated guide data tuner. Look at your SWM strengths on the IRD's signal meters. ;)

8. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    No, it's not really a tuner in the same sense as the other eight, which are in the receivers. It's a dedicated guide SWM CHANNEL. Every tuner connected to the SWM receives it.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    We're getting down to splitting hairs here, "but" each receiver has a network "tuner" that it a narrow band tuner for the guide data. The DVRs actually have three internal tuners, two for recording and one just for the guide data and other info in the stream.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Agreed;

"Splitting hairs" indeed ... :D

But to engage in such "hair splitting" just once more. I guess the more accurate way of explaining it is that the basic SWiM module or LNB uses up to eight separate RF channels to distribute programming to as many as eight independent satellite tuners in aggregate (up to two for each DVR, 1 for a STB receiver).

A ninth RF channel (~974 MHz) from the SWiM is common to all receivers and is used by a special narrowband "Network Tuner" aboard each of them.

11. texasbrit

Aug 9, 2006
    Correct. But for normal explanations (how many tuners can you drive per SWM LNB), it's accurate to say 8 tuners, not 2+1 per DVR and 1+1 per receiver which is correct from an electronics perspective. And certainly not 9..

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not going to try to split this hair any finer.
    ALL SWiM outputs can handle eight tuners and no more.
    The SWiM-16 & SWiM-32 have multiple outputs, but are still limited to EIGHT tuners on each.

13. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    Does DirecTV have a good solution to 9-tuner installs?

For swim, they will throw a swim-16 at it. For legacy, it's just, "show up and figure it out."

It's dicey to chain 6x8's off each other. It only gives you 12 outputs, and if the 6x8's are slightly bad, you will have errors.

The proper solution, which is to install 4 power-passing splitters, means $12 in additional material costs, and it's not clear that DirecTV reimburses for this.

So, what do you guys do on 9-tuner installs (aka upgrades)?

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    SWiM-16 it. Legacy receivers get replaced with SWiM capable ones.

15. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    Yeah? What if they have a bunch of D-11's?

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    In a conversion to SWM, D11's would be replaced with D12s.