1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM-8 and protection plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by matt, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1 of 10
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Well, I couldn't find a definitive answer on whether the SWM-8 is covered under the protection plan for residential applications, so I sent an email to D*.

Turns out it is! I have the email to prove it.

2. Feb 1, 2010 #2 of 10
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    How was your SWM-8 installed? Did you purchase it and install it yourself or was it installed by a DirecTV installer?

I haven't really looked into it, but I'm not sure how things work with the PP for self-installed components except for a receiver. If I go out and buy a dish and put it up, why should the PP cover that if something goes wrong? While I would hope they would cover it, I'm not sure if they are legally required to cover that repair under the PP contract.

I realize that the PP is for all purposes an extended warranty contract and covers owned components, but what I'm getting it is that DirecTV might want some sense that the components were installed correctly to begin with (and worked to start as well) before they cover the cost of a replacement or repair.

- Merg

3. Feb 1, 2010 #3 of 10
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I sent a reply to find out, we will know soon!

4. Feb 1, 2010 #4 of 10
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Now that DirecTV is using SWM8s for residential jobs (on a limited basis), they will be covered by the Protection Plan. Prior to November or so, SWM8's were considered to be commercial-only equipment, and not covered, but those rules were changed as part of a push to increase SWM deployment.

5. Feb 1, 2010 #5 of 10
    oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    Funny, I just spent the majority of the day on the phone with D* about this very issue. I installed a Zinwell SWM-8 last Friday and now my H21-100 box has severe fluctuations in satellite strength across all transponders on 99/101/103. The strength randomly goes from 85-100 to 0. I put one of my HR21s in the bad location using the bad location's cable and wiring and it works fine. No brainer, bad H21 box, right?

I made 4 calls about it today. I DO have the Protection Plan
    1. Tech L. had me go thru the litany of resets and configurations and in the end told me that the problem required a service call with a $49 charge because I did the SWM install myself.
    2. Tech B. went thru a few checks and wanted to schedule a service call for $49 but told me that she could get me a $50 credit to pay for it. I was mysteriously disconnected while waiting for B. to verify my credit.
    3. Tech S. went thru a few checks and told me that the PP would cover the service call even though I did the install. I asked her to verify this and she put me on with Supervisor C. C quickly overruled S. and said I would have to pay since I did the install myself.

So 4 CSRs and 3 different answers.

I finally got Supervisor C. to send me a replacement receiver after I explained to her 3 times that I had put an HR21 on the same TV using existing connections and it worked.

6. Feb 1, 2010 #6 of 10
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Here's the terms and conditions of the protection plan.

https://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DirecTV_service_contract_v4.pdf

I'm pretty sure that the following comments will bring out the litney of trolls and their ilk giving all sorts of examples of exceptions, etc, etc, etc. Anyway, read and decide for yourself.

I believe they can deny you coverage under any of the following parts:

(1) Incidental or consequential damages;

(2) Intentional acts or criminal acts by you, damage from accident, abuse, misuse, introduction of foreign objects into the product, unauthorized product modifications or alterations, failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions, third-party actions (fire, collision, vandalism, loss, theft, etc.);

(9) Repairs associated with incomplete or unsuccessful installation;

And with that, queue the trolls, line forms to the left. :grin:

7. Feb 1, 2010 #7 of 10
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I got a hold of a seemingly very knowledgeable CSR today. She researched and said that it would be covered if I installed it EXCEPT that my SWM flag is not set so there is a chance it could get replaced with a 6x8.

She told me it was not possible to set the SWM flag except when the system is installed and the tech notes it on the install paperwork. She asked her supervisor about it and they confirmed that.

Obviously, people on here have had that flag set, so I decided to just send an email to Ellen, I saw her address on here and told her I was a happy customer and how I had installed an SWM8, and to please set my flag, and thanks for taking time out of her day for me. That was this afternoon, I should hear back any time now.

8. Feb 1, 2010 #8 of 10
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    The CSR I mentioned above told me that as long as it wasn't obvious that I had damaged it, it would be covered, even customer installed stuff.

9. Feb 1, 2010 #9 of 10
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That's exactly what I was getting at Robert. I think the big one is #9. Since the customer is performing the install, there is no verification that the install is complete or successful.

- Merg

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Update: Customer installed equipment is not covered.