1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWM-8 died... need replacement opinion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by MatthewTheRaven, Aug 11, 2009.

1. MatthewTheRaven

MatthewTheRaven Mentor

Feb 21, 2008
    I have an SWM-8 outside. Apparently during a very hard rain last night, some water got into it, which surprised me because it should be weather resistant and it was also shielded, but whatever, the fact is, water got in it and now it appears to not be working.

The power inserter is fine.

So here's my question... how should I replace it?

I can get a new SWM-8 from SolidSignal; they have open box for ~$120. My other option is picking up the SL5-SWM LNB for ~$90. I would need to also get the 21V power inserter for another $19, so ~$109 for the whole package. So the price difference at this point is fairly negligible.

Now, something to know about my setup... I have a long cable run to the satellite dish, around 60 feet. Would that make a difference in my choice?

Also, if I went with the LNB would anything else in my setup need to be changed?

Thanks for any opinions,
    Matt

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    AFAIK the 29V PI will also work on the SWM LNB.

Seen SWM8s on ebay for around $80 shipped BTW.

3. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    According to your footer all of your receivers are SWM compatible so the only thing you may need is an SWS splitter.

P.S. Since you're only using 5 tuners a really cheap fix would be to grab a SWM5 on one of those auction sites. You can probably get one for $15 nowadays...

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    First, I'd prove the SWM8 has failed. When my dish went out of alignment, the SWM showed zero, so zero in = zero out of the SWM.
    My SWMLNB is over 70' from my PI-28 and works fine, so no need to buy the PI-21.
    If you're using both SWM outputs, you'd need another splitter.

5. MatthewTheRaven

MatthewTheRaven Mentor

Feb 21, 2008
    Well, I rechecked the alignment of the dish with a compass and unless I'm WAY off, I should have some type of signal. It doesn't appear to have moved at all.

I can remove the SWM-8 from the equation and see if I get a signal. Is there any way I can go about seeing if the SWM-8 is working other than that? The water leaking out of one edge when I picked it up to inspect it gave me the impression that it was hosed!

I wasn't sure if it was safe to use the 28V PI, but if it is, that's great, one less thing either way.

To give a little more information, the SWM-8 feeds into a high quality cable splitter, nothing special or made for SWM. And that's worked pretty flawlessly for a while. Should I still expect that to work for the LNB replacement, or would I need a special SWM splitter?

I suppose I need to do a little more research on the SL5-SWM. I don't really know if the output of that is exactly the same as the SWM-8 or not.

You guys rock, thanks for the info, keep it coming :)

6. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    For how cheap 5-2150Mhz splitters are why not play it safe?

7. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I'd definitely try this first.

As Mertzen said spring for the SWS splitter.

The output from the SWMLnb is a single coax, and is the equivilant of using a SWM port on the SWM8. What you lose are the flexports and legacy ports the SWM8 offers.

8. MatthewTheRaven

MatthewTheRaven Mentor

Feb 21, 2008
    So I guess the question still remains...

All things being equal, SWM-8 or SL5-SWM? Or is it just really a question of whichever one I can get cheaper?

9. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    How accessible is your dish? I went with the SWM-8 because my dish is on a third story roof and I don't have a long enough ladder to get to it.

10. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I got mine for $54 shipped on ebay. Shop around and you can get a great price on them.

11. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    If you'll never need more than 8 SWM tuners or don't plan to use legacy equipment then go with the SWMLnb. The reasons to go with a SWM8 are to have the flexibility to add tuners, use legacy equipment, or utilize the 95º and 72.5º sats.

A final deciding factor for you might be the fact that D* will NOT support a SWM8 in a residential environment. If you call a tech they may run for the hills when they see it. SWMLnb is supported for residential use (that doesn't mean a tech will always know what it is, but it is supported...)

12. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    If they don't use the SWM8 in residential, what about folks with more than 8 tuners using a SWM8 and a WB68 with splitters? If my SWM8 dies, I would expect DirecTV to put the setup back in working order in the same way it is now, not add a SWMlnb and a second dish.

13. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    In this situation they would not add a SWMlnb and second dish. The SWM8 would be replaced with a WB68 or both switches would be replaced with a WB616. Additional lines would then need to be run for the dual tuner DVR's. D* won't replace a defective SWM8 in a residential situation for any reason -- you're on your own when they fail...

14. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    :rolleyes:

15. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    were did ya get the original SWM8 from? Try calling and see if they will replace seems like a defect if water got in since this thing is designed for being outside

16. slacker_x

slacker_x Mentor

Oct 9, 2007
    My next door neighbor had DirecTV installed at his house recently and they installed a SWM-8 for him, I wouldn't be so quick to say they won't support it as they have and do install them for customers.

17. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I didn't say a tech wouldn't install one, I said D* won't support it. Techs can be "encouraged" to do many things outside the box, but most will not for fear of a chargeback. In this case I'd venture to guess the SWM-8 was mounted indoors vice outside so it wouldn't be "caught". The tech will still draw a chargeback if your neighbor calls D* within a few months of install with a problem and states the tech installed a SWM-8 though.

Also, unless they're in the commercial/MDU line of work there's no reason a tech would even carry a SWM-8 on the truck. Wherever the SWM-8 came from I can tell you that it wasn't a line item on your neighbor's D* work order. So if there's ever a problem D* will not support its replacement with another SWM-8.

As SWM issues can be hot-button topics please see Battlezone's thread which does a great job explaining some of the finer points...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=162731

18. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008

I would guess that your neighbor purchased it and then gave the tech some incentive to install it. There are many things that can be done by techs that D* won't support. Techs have run network and phone cables for customers. Techs have installed multiple dish's on homes. None of this is supported by DirecTV but that doesn't mean it wasn't done by a tech.

DirecTV would replace that SWM8 if a tech rolls on a SC and can't resolve the problem without removing it. They wouldn't replace it with a SWM8.